Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Software Upgrade, General Comments

benos

Since the forum software upgrade, I've seen various complaints, such as, "I want the old forums back," or "this is a step backward," an so on.

Here's the reality. If you value the forums and want to keep them around, not upgrading is not an option.

First and foremost, it's a security issue. Example. Yesterday I received an email generated by the forum software. It was a bit scary:

An error has been generated on your forums. You are being sent this notification based on your error log notification settings in the Admin Control Panel. This error meets the criteria for errors that you have set to be notified about.

The error code is: 5031

The error message is: We use an authorization key to verify you really submitted the form, and the authorization key was not supplied with your form submission or was invalid.

I've never received an email like that so I submitted a ticket on it.

The reply:

Hello.

That was an attempt at an SQL injection hack.

Since you're running v3.0.5 you have noting at all to worry about.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

Nice!

:)

In addition to security updates - although there are still a couple bugs I'm working on - the new software is massively improved, with many new User, Admin, and security features.

So if something is working quite perfectly or like it used to for you, please be patient. We'll have 'er dialed in soon and everyone will be happy.

;)

Thanks,

benos