Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 550B purchase: Sanity Check on gear list

To Mr. Enos and the Forum members,

First time poster, but I have read and re-read the data posted in these fora and on Mr. Enos's website. First the kudos. Much obliged to Mr. Enos for taking the time and energy to organize and put such a large amount of information about the Dillon press on the web for reloaders. And to Dillon themselvers....I spent a significant amount of time with them at SHOT show 2010 asking questions and they were very gracious in demonstrating the 550b. So effective that I decided to purchase a press and do so via this site.

Now to my question.

Background: I am not new to reloading and have a decent set of gear (scales, calipers, dies etc), but have decided to upgrade to allow me to shoot more for the same nickel. Dad always told me to buy the best in optics and reloading and I wouldn't be disappointed....thus a Dillon. So I am concentrating on two calibers (9mm and 45 ACP) initially, and over time will expand to 30 carbine, 5.56mm, 45 Colt and .30-06. But realistically, finances are a factor and per Mr. Enos's note....there are birthdays and Christmas with which to expand my inventory of Dillon products such as spare parts kits etc.

Question: Is the following list of gear complete for reloading 9mm and 45 ACP? Am I missing anything major? I don't mind taking a bit of time to change the powder measure etc. Thank you forum members again for your counsel and to Mr. Enos.

Dillon 550b CR-Basic Ez Buy "As it should be package"

Strong mount

Roller handle

Bullet tray

Empty bin and bracket

9mm Dillon dies

4xExtra primer pickup tubes

$528.75

For 45 ACP

Extra caliber conversion kit

$43.95

Toolhead and powder die package for 45 ACP

$31.45

Dies for 45 ACP...I have a 3-DIE, RCBS Carbide set in 45 ACP I plan on using unless told otherwise.

S&H

Above $400 so free.

Total

$604.15

Strong mount

Roller handle

Bullet tray

Empty bin and bracket

9mm Dillon dies

$528.75

For 45 ACP

$43.95

$31.45

Dies for 45 ACP...I have a 3-DIE, RCBS Carbide set in 45 ACP I plan on using unless told otherwise.

S&H

Above $400 so free.

Total

$604.15

if your wanting to save a little more money i would say go without the bullet tray.

i have had my 550 and 650 for a few years now and never needed it. I just have my container of bullets (coffee can, tupperware etc...) to the left of the press.

I just put it on top of something else so it give the same height that the bullet tray does.

your die set will be fine

PanzerVI

Your list is right on it.

And if you don't go with the Bullet Tray, I'd also scratch the Strong Mount and the Empty Case Bin and Bracket. Think of them as buying them all 3 or not at all.

And thank you for the kudos.

be

Edited - forgot one thing. If you use the RCBS dies for 45, I'd suggest getting an individual Dillon 45 Seat Die, so you can seat and crimp in separate stations.

(Take the seat plug out of your seat die and use it to crimp only. The Dillon Seat Die is much more "smartly" than the RCBS Die.)

BE knows way more about the Dillon press and proper set up that I do. Shoot, I've only owne my 550 for about 2 weeks now. I understand BE's point, one definately builds on the next.

But I would argue against dropping the strong mount depending on where you will mount it, and how tall you are. I'm 6'1", my loading bench is 37" tall. With the strong mount, the shell plate ends up about elbow height. This means no leaning over and less shoulder work when loading. I find the set up to be very ergonomic and know that I personally, would be miserable without the strong mount's added height.

If you plan to stand and load, I'd go strong mount. If you plan to sit at a regular height table, go with BE's advice.

Had my 550 for a year now and I have gone back and forth with the bullet tray, strong mount and case bin setup. I started with everything on. Then I took it all off. Now it's back on. :wacko: It will make just as good a loaded round either way you go.

The only thing I might add would be some ammo boxes unless you have them and some extra ackro bins. I ended up getting some 650 bins and some 900 bins to keep loaded rounds in on the shelf.

• 1 year later...

First time poster, but I have read and re-read the data posted in these fora and on Mr. Enos's website. First the kudos. Much obliged to Mr. Enos for taking the time and energy to organize and put such a large amount of information about the Dillon press on the web for reloaders. And to Dillon themselvers....I spent a significant amount of time with them at SHOT show 2010 asking questions and they were very gracious in demonstrating the 550b. So effective that I decided to purchase a press and do so via this site.

Now to my question.

Background: I am not new to reloading and have a decent set of gear (scales, calipers, dies etc), but have decided to upgrade to allow me to shoot more for the same nickel. Dad always told me to buy the best in optics and reloading and I wouldn't be disappointed....thus a Dillon. So I am concentrating on two calibers (9mm and 45 ACP) initially, and over time will expand to 30 carbine, 5.56mm, 45 Colt and .30-06. But realistically, finances are a factor and per Mr. Enos's note....there are birthdays and Christmas with which to expand my inventory of Dillon products such as spare parts kits etc.

Question: Is the following list of gear complete for reloading 9mm and 45 ACP? Am I missing anything major? I don't mind taking a bit of time to change the powder measure etc. Thank you forum members again for your counsel and to Mr. Enos.

Strong mount

Roller handle

Bullet tray

Empty bin and bracket

9mm Dillon dies

$528.75

For 45 ACP

$43.95

$31.45

S&H

Above $400 so free.

Total

$604.15

Did the kit have the 9mm conversion kit, i know some kits do and some dont with the press.

Now to my question.

Strong mount

Roller handle

Bullet tray

Empty bin and bracket

9mm Dillon dies

$528.75

For 45 ACP

$43.95

$31.45

S&H

Above $400 so free.

Total

$604.15

Now to my question.

Strong mount

Roller handle

Bullet tray

Empty bin and bracket

9mm Dillon dies

$528.75

For 45 ACP

$43.95

$31.45

S&H

Above $400 so free.

Total

$604.15

From what you said, that would be an excellent setup for those two calibers.

be