Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight width

Beaz

I just installed a set of Warren/Sevingny sights to my glock. I notice that when you apply heat to the front fiber optic site you can make the bulb part of the sight almost any size. I have trouble sometimes reading front sights in the heat of battle. do you think if i made that bulb bigger on the front sight that it would make it easy to read. Before i started experimenting i thought i would throw the question out and see if anybody has tried this. They only give you so much of the fiber optic rod and i don't want to waste it, if in most peoples opinion it won't matter. maybe it just a personal preference. Thanks

i think shootersconnection has the .040 and .060 size rods. While i havent used a FO sight yet, making the dot bigger will probably make aquisition bigger, but as BK said, you need to be able to clearly see the top of the front blade.

I have played with making the dot bigger. It does help with up close, fast sight acquisition but I find myself centering the big dot between the tops of the rear sight instead of trying to get the top of the front sight aligned (resulting in shots hitting high if any real distance).

My eyes are not the best, and I use a FO front on all my competition guns. The semi-autos carry .060. My Ruger GP-100 has a larger rod (I haven't miked it but it might be .080). I am actually more accurate at IDPA or USPSA with the bigger Ruger dot. I can see it faster, and I am always among the Most Accurate Shooters at IDPA matches. This works for me, although wouldn't presume it to be the best bet for shooters with better eyes. Replacement FO rods are readily available. I get mine from Brownells. As inexpensive as they are, and as easy as they are to replace, playing with a "blob" might be worthwhile for you.

Chris Christian

Several years ago I had a FO front sight installed but had it changed back to a blade because I thought I was losing accuracy. As my eyes have gotten worse I have discovered the FO is quicker and just as accurate if I use it to find the blade. At close ranges a FO within the rear notch gets pretty consistent A zone hits and at distance I can pick up the top of the blade faster. It is important to keep the bulb small at the rear where the eye can see it.