Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgdon powdes for 45acp

earlbob

I've been using Titegroup with 200gr LSWC. The load is sooooo smoky. I like the way that it shoots and the TG meters well for me. TG is also very clean with Montana Gold bullets.

Based on what I am reading here, I should try Clays with my LSWC so it doesn't look like I'm shooting black powder anymore. ;)

The only issue I've come across is that Clays gets a 10-15 pf increase at 85 degrees, compared to 35-40 degrees.

so does Tightgroup...

jj

That's what I've heard, but, it hasn't happened to me yet, with Titegroup, and I've chronoed from 25 degrees to 90 degrees.

Very interesting...the burn rate data sources cited above are in conflict with one another. Never noticed that before. For example, one source shows both Titegroup and Bullseye as faster than Clays, while Hodgdon's chart shows Clays faster than both. Always good to remember that because you read it doesn't mean it's true.

Based on what I am reading here, I should try Clays with my LSWC so it doesn't look like I'm shooting black powder anymore.

I was initially lubing with White Label Lube's 'BAC' lube, which I believe is Beeswax and Carnauba, and running Clays. Four or five fast shots indoors and I'd be standing a cloud of dense smoke. I stayed with Clays and all else the same, but switched to a hard lube (Jake's Purple Ceresin) and...no smoke (or at least nearly none).

I found Hodgdon's load data for Longshot to be impressive:

200gr JHP 7.0gr 918fps 13,300 cup (min load)

200gr JHP 7.8gr 1,013fps 16,900 cup (max load)

This looked to be among the highest velocity/lowest pressure loads going--although you can see you're burning quite a bit of powder to do it, and Longshot looks to be a relatively slow burner.

Edited by Bongo Boy

Clays would be an excellent choice for light loads in 45 ACP but I would not use it in either 9mm or 38 Super. Titegroup has load data for all three calibers but I find it a bit hot burning especially with lead bullets. I tend to use WSF for my 9mm loads, W-231 or American Selct for light revo loads in 38 Super and Clays, WST or American Select for 45 ACP.

I tried Clays for awhile. It doesnt meter well thru my press. I was getting horrible extreme spread. Plus I had to go to 4.2 grs. to make PF.

I have a slow barrel. Some of the Clays loads would drop below PF. Dont want that at a big match. It would be my luck that the 3 they grabbed would be low. TG worked well, just smoked like a train. I use RS Comp now. But I have to be careful of the temp. It is low on smoke and recoil. And is cheap. I also use 231 for 9/40 and 45. just a great all around powder.

I bought a couple of, pounds of Clays the other day but have yet to try it. I did stuff some brass with 231 and went indoor hosing Wednesday nite. Never seen so much smoke after a 5 shot string in my life, it was nasty. I backed up out of the booth and shot with my gun in and my nose out. Think I'll take a camera with me next time to see if its as bad as I thought it was after I get home. I put 5.2 of 231 grains under a lead 208 Truncated cone. My loads did not seem all that accurate though, now I am wondering if perhaps I might have gone a bit 'hog wild' on the taper crimp or need to try a different seating depth or ?...

earl