Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Muzzle/sight Tracking

bountyhunter

In speed shooting it feels like I waste a lot of time hunting for the sight picture and aligning after each shot. When I see pros shoot, it looks like the up and down track of the muzzle is the same on every shot. Is there a specific method to obtain consistent muzzle track so the sights come back down to the same area after a shot and you don't have to spend so much time looking for the front sight?

Yes proper practice without trying. If you read Brian's book it will help.

You must practice the proper fundamentals. The basic components of a fast and accurate shot is consistancy. That means in grip, sight picture, trigger and stance.

PS You don't look for the sight, Its there. You should see it the entire time. A lot of things you don't get until you are ready for it. I bought Brian's book the year he published it. I still read and learn from it as well as many other sources.

Now I know a lot of this sounds simple and a little smart-----. :)

Well it ain't rocket science but it is one of hardest skills to master. :rolleyes:

Ditto:

Proper grip, stance, practice, practice, and more practice. Once you get these down you can shoot without your eyes if needed, they gun will return the same every time. When I shoot, the sights just appear on a target lined up almost immediately after I look at the target. Proper grip, stance, practice, practice, and more practice is the only way I know to get there.

I practice honing my index during dry fire drills, using the "closed eyes" exercises Brian describes in his book (align sights, close eyes, lower gun, raise gun, open eyes, sights should still be aligned...then more complex variations on the theme). I think this helps the hands to know where to drive the gun to during recoil so the sights are there at the conclusion of the shot.

I think Matt Burkett's "Timing Drill" is designed to help you learn how to track your sights and get them to come back to rest, aligned for the next shot. I haven't tried it, but you may want to look it up.

DogmaDog

BountyHunter,

Can you describe your stance?

Sure. Feet and hips square to the target line, basically an isosceles stance. I flex the elbows slightly to get some recoil absorption and cushion the hit on my shoulders. The right arm is closer to being straight, so the right shoulder is rotated slightly more to the rear and the support (left) arm elbow has a little more bend in it. I don't do the "lean forward" thing (supported by the toes), I generally stand balanced over my feet.

I practice honing my index during dry fire drills, using the "closed eyes" exercises Brian describes in his book (align sights, close eyes, lower gun, raise gun, open eyes, sights should still be aligned...then more complex variations on the theme). I think this helps the hands to know where to drive the gun to during recoil so the sights are there at the conclusion of the shot.

DogmaDog

Thanks, I'll try that.

Before I saw the eyes-closed recommendation, I was going to....

;)

To a point, proper technique can do much of the work for you.

For day-in day-out consistency, neutrality is critical.

Try this - IPSC target at 15 yds. Aim dead center, close eyes and fire a shot. Then open your eyes and see how/where the sights are aligned. Just notice it; don't think about it any more than that. Then re-grip and repeat. Do that forever. Then as proficiency improves, (after days, weeks, or months, as the sights begin returning to perfect alignment without depending on your vision), fire two shots with eyes closed, then open and check alignment. Then three and so on. You might even get some fun games going with your buddies - who can shoot the tightest 5-shot group with eyes closed the entire time. It's fun stuff.

It expedites the (technique) learning curve because it isolates the physical components of technique (from the visual).

Neutrality is paramount.

:)

Then think how easy it'll be to shoot with your eyes open.

:o

I was doing some practicing at the range this morning. Something really strange happened on my two shot drills--I tracked the sight totally and it returned to the original point of aim. I was amazed. The following is the sequence of events that brought on this epiphany.

The previous drill is what I think made the difference. The drill was:

1. Standing in normal shooting position

2. Gun out and pointed at the target

3. Hit the buzzer- set on delay

4. Bring up the weak hand, and sight the gun as usual-major focus on the front sight

5. Fire on shot as soon as the buzzer sounds.

6. Check the time

I was checking my times-not great but good for me and they improved over the course of the drill. I fired about 20-30 rounds this way.

I proceed to do a two shot drill the same way. I saw the front sight on the first shot, the muzzle rise, return and press the trigger for the second shot. I did this for another 40 shots. I was blown away by the awareness. I reviewed the first shot, split and total time.

I then proceed to do a four paper plate routine. The awareness of what was going on was truly remarkable for me. I just fired in a control cadence.

All in all, this was a good session for me because I learned one more thing about my shooting.

Bountyhunter:

What Benos said is good advice esp. for developing awareness through 'feel'..however the following suggestions will help you along in this process:

You said: Feet and hips square to the target line, basically an isosceles stance.

I say: Find your NPA position and see the positions your feet are in relative to each other. Work on developing that position as it is a component of your neutrality. Even for those times that you are out of this stance then you will know how much it is 'compromised' and thereby know how you must compensate for this.

You said: The right arm is closer to being straight, so the right shoulder is rotated slightly more to the rear and the support (left) arm elbow has a little more bend in it.

I say: Your support hand should lead the strong hand on the gun so the support hand should be (has to be) straighter. Are you getting that support hand wrist lock that aids in resettling the gun quickly and back to its original position? Do you have a dual contraction of the hands or is that right hand pushing on the gun? Think about it, if your right shoulder is rotated slightly to the rear what will it have a tendency to do, esp. under rapid fire and/or fatigue? It will have a tendency to move forward, and if your right hand is locked it will just move the entire unit including the gun.

You said: I don't do the "lean forward" thing (supported by the toes), I generally stand balanced over my feet.

I say: Practice to lean even a little bit forward..you need a little forward bias as a counter for the recoil; slightly bending the knees too can help your stability and flexibility. Remember balanced on your feet before gun fires don't translate into balanced on your feet after gun fires- fire a 12 guage slug in a shotgun and see what happens. The same thing happens with the handgun too but on a smaller scale, nevertheless the margin of error induced may be just as large, if not larger.

Hope this helps and Happy New Year!! :)