Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blasted Cats

Modoc

I am ready to scream. It has been a very wet and busy couple of weeks here and I have not been able to go out and do anything on our covered porch. Well today it is clear and breezy, so I am trying to clean things up and do a couple of projects. The entire porch smells of cat urine and everything that I touch has spray marks on it :angry2: . This includes the Grill, the bicycles table and gun cart, not to mention every couple of feet down the side of the house! Now I am trying to clean-up the mess and looking around to see that there are no cats that I recognise as belonging to any of the neighbors. I am really begining to HATE Cats! Maybe it is time for a bunch of critturs to go on a one-way trip to the pound.

I've been having the same problem. I have heard that Cayenne Pepper is a good deterrent for cats.

Paul, you're correct. .22 Long Rifle HP dipped in cayenne pepper. The feral cat population around here is generally kept in check by the foxes and coyotes. Those that escape/evade them are nasty little killers. I find wild birds in my meadow with the heads chewed off and left there. Only cats do that.

Edited by NickJ

Yes, cayenne snuffed up a feral cat's nosy little snoot will discourage them a bit. You can sometimes buy cayenne in bulk sizes cheaply at discount grocery stores.

There's a rumble here in town about banning feral cats altogether... and people that let their cats out may have to give up the cat or pay fines or pay damages... or something. They're workin' on it. We have a strict rule here at the complex about cats. Hefty deposits (several hundred $$$) and strictly 'indoors' only. All stray cats will be gathered up and taken--somewhere. Heh. :devil:

Cats are a really serious problem outdoors in urban areas. There's nothing but trouble waiting for an urban cat outdoors--not to mention for people who encounter them. Out in the country?... not so bad. They have more natural stuff they can do out there and if they get stupid or arrogant the coyotes (and others), as the man said, will 'keep them in check'.