Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with XDm .40 S&W

The_Vigilante

Just recently I have been having a problem with my XDm .40 and am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Basically what is happening is when I insert a mag to load the pistol and pull back the slide and let it go the cartridge will not feed correctly-it enters the chamber at a 30-35 degree angle facing upwards and stops about halfway with the nose entering the chamber. I have to remove the mag to clear the pistol. It doesn't do this all of the time though. Also when I am in the process of firing the pistol the same thing will happen-the cartridge will not enter the chamber cleanly-see above. This causes a dent on the cartridge around the middle of the shell. Any clues or suggestions? Thanks

These are handloads using an OAL/COL of 1.130. I will make some up with an OAL of 1.125 and see if the problem disappears or continues. I just got the pistol back from Springer Precision where I had some mods made. I did have a Barsto Match barrel installed by Scott. That could well be the difference maker between the OEM barrel for which I used the 1.130 OAL with no problems and the new barrel which wants a shorter OAL. Thanks

Edited by The_Vigilante

I had the same problem with Atlanta Arms minor velocity in my XDm 40. Turns out the problem was the profile of the bullet. It was too flat and steep of an angle. Changed ammo and it runs like a clock now.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with Atlanta Arms minor velocity in my XDm 40. Turns out the problem was the profile of the bullet. It was too flat and steep of an angle. Changed ammo and it runs like a clock now.

I'm rowing the same boat with my XD tact in .40S&W. My loads are:

180gr Rainer TC

COL = 1.125"

I've tried every COL from 1.165" (which is max my mag will hold) to 1.110". The odd part is it's only a problem when the mags are full. If I load 4 rounds they feed fine. I tried brand new out of the box OEM mags and same result.

My brothers Glock runs them like a champ...guess I bought the wrong pistol.

In fact my gun won't run UMC TC 180gr factory ammo reliably.

The XD just hates the TC profile. If your not loading HP or RN then you can pretty much forget it. I try not to think of the money I've thrown down this hole.

Edited by OUshooter

• 3 weeks later...

180gr Rainer TC

COL = 1.125"

I've tried every COL from 1.165" (which is max my mag will hold) to 1.110". The odd part is it's only a problem when the mags are full. If I load 4 rounds they feed fine. I tried brand new out of the box OEM mags and same result.

The XD just hates the TC profile. If your not loading HP or RN then you can pretty much forget it. I try not to think of the money I've thrown down this hole.

I bought some 185gr Precision bullets and have cycled 250 without incident. I'm going to try another 250 and see what happens. But it right now it looks like my XD just won't run TC profile bullets.

180gr Rainer TC

COL = 1.125"

I bought some 185gr Precision bullets and have cycled 250 without incident. I'm going to try another 250 and see what happens. But it right now it looks like my XD just won't run TC profile bullets.

Suggestion:

A friend of mine had a similar problem with bullets not feeding and we traced it back to the fact that he did not lubricate his pistol with more than 3 drops of oil after he cleaned it. We liberally put some slide glide on the slide and spring and it and it runs and feeds like a champ. He ordered a tube of the slide glide light the next day :) I have also seen gunk on the mag follower cause a similar issue. Have you taken apart your mags and cleaned them lately?

The reason I am asking the above is that my XD service runs any kind of bullet I throw at it from 135gr up to 200gr and with OAL's from 1.11 to 1.135. In hand-loads I have run Berry's RN and TC, Remington JHP's, Montana Gold JHP's, BBI TC's and every kind of factory ammo I can find from S&B, Remington UMC, Federal, Blazer Brass, CCI Gold dot, and even some steel cased Wolf. The current load I am using is a 200gr BBI Moly with an OAL of 1.130.

Hope those suggestions help! :)

I haven't had any feed issues at all with my XDm 40 with TC. Shot handloads (Space coast bullets 180 TC with 5.6 of Power Pistol, OAL of 1.125) or Winchester White box 165 TC's.

+1 on the 185 Precision bullets. I load mine at 1.135 and my XDM 40 rums like a champ. I ran outta Black Bullets the other day and picked up some cast lead to load for one match, and that was a nightmare. Same weight and profile but wouldnt run. Cant beat Precision Bullets for the XDM imo....