Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mini red dots

usmc1974

Thanks guys for all the info. I am not going to mount it on the slide. I just think they take to much of a beating. The STS looks good.

If you're not mounting it on the slide, why not go with a regular C-More? The field of view is much larger, which translates into being able to find the dot faster on the draw.

I agree with Chris. The very idea of "mini" is just backward. I'm sorry, but the thought of it dumbfounds me.

Would you rather look through a pipe or a straw?

Vision drives our shooting. Design should strive for the most field of view we can possible get away with.

+1....

That why I am trying the Nikko-Stirling mini. The lense is only 1mm smaller than a C-more. Big field of view in a compact form-factor. I have always wondered why none of the more popular mini mfr did not use a lense the size of a C-more (~30mm). It the compact size of the mini that offers a number of advantages, but the smaller lense size limits the value gained.

Thanks guys for all the info. I am not going to mount it on the slide. I just think they take to much of a beating. The STS looks good.

If you're not mounting it on the slide, why not go with a regular C-More? The field of view is much larger, which translates into being able to find the dot faster on the draw.

I agree with Chris. The very idea of "mini" is just backward. I'm sorry, but the thought of it dumbfounds me.

Vision drives our shooting. Design should strive for the most field of view we can possible get away with.

There must be something other than "view" involved or everyone would still be shooting Aimpoints or some of the huge scopes I have seen pictures of from the 80's. Guns don't react well to C-Mores mounted to the slide or Cheely and others wouldn't have such a following. I had an Optima on a Glock until the lens became too scratched to see through, now I'm trying a C-More but as the models are perfected I may go back to a slide ride.

Thanks for all the info guys.I borrowed a friends cheap little NcStar to experiment with first. I have seriously modified doctor scope mount, they set very close to the slide. The very small optima sight with it's very nice window sets in front of my guns ejection port gives me a very fast pick up. Very little movement of the sight, shooting with both eyes open, I don't have to adjust my eyes or head to find the dot. The total package is a whole lot smaller and closer to the slide then you might think. Just me, your mileage may vary.

• 4 weeks later...

Flex, spoken like a true limited shooter. For most of us, Using a Target focus is key for open and is one of the true advantages of using a red dot sight. The size and shape of the sight body and lens is irrelevant. With both eyes open, the sight does not really block vision on the sides. The clarity, sharpness, and brightness of the dot is of much greater importance. I shoot open with tube sights using a target focus and don't see the sight body at all when shooting. Once again, Mini/Maxi of the sight body or lens size is irrelevant. What is more important is the dot. Field of view is also a concept that really does not apply here. The lens does nothing more than provide a surface to reflect the dot off of.

Edited by larry cazes

Flex, spoken like a true limited shooter. For most of us, Using a Target focus is key for open and is one of the true advantages of using a red dot sight. The size and shape of the sight body and lens is irrelevant. With both eyes open, the sight does not really block vision on the sides. The clarity, sharpness, and brightness of the dot is of much greater importance. I shoot open with tube sights using a target focus and don't see the sight body at all when shooting. Once again, Mini/Maxi of the sight body or lens size is irrelevant. What is more important is the dot. Field of view is also a concept that really does not apply here. The lens does nothing more than provide a surface to reflect the dot off of.

LOL... Spoken like a true guy that missed the point. :)

There is nothing wrong with what you just shared, but that was not the point that was addressed.

The issue is one of finding the dot.

I find if I practice my draw, i find the dot more and more readily. A huge screen is nice to find the dot but it doesn't really matter if you practice drawing to the dot over and over and over, eventually you'll just naturally do it.

LOL... Spoken like a true guy that missed the point. :)

There is nothing wrong with what you just shared, but that was not the point that was addressed.

The issue is one of finding the dot.

If your hunting for it in the glass instead of indexing to it then your technique is at issue. I would not rely on a scope/mount/gun combo that forces me to hunt for the dot, period.