Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Lightweight" hammer in SS 45?

BN91205

Hello Everyone,

I've got a question regarding hammer selection for my upcoming single-stack 45 build. My plan is to have it for personal protection with some occasional playtime in the SS division. Is a lightweight hammer i.e. Wilson Combat Ultralight Hammer, something recommended? Pros/Cons versus say a heavier hammer like an Ed Brown Hardcore?

Thanks for the info,

Brian

The pros with a lightweight hammer would be faster lock time and better accuracy.

The only con I can think of with a lightweight hammer would be failure to ignite the primer,but I have always used lightweight hammers and never had a problem even with light mainsprings. You really just don't hear that problem anymore. Some factory pistols come with lightweight hammers.

The pros with a lightweight hammer would be faster lock time and better accuracy.

The only con I can think of with a lightweight hammer would be failure to ignite the primer,but I have always used lightweight hammers and never had a problem even with light mainsprings. You really just don't hear that problem anymore. Some factory pistols come with lightweight hammers.

Yep, and when you factor in that the lighter hammer is moving faster, it may be transferring the same amount of energy to the primer. Granted, it's more of an impulse function than an energy function, but I've had many tens of thousands of primers (many small rifle) light just fine with a lightweight hammer (mostly Koenig, and even a Ti hammer back in the day) so it's probably not worth worrying about. R,

I agree with G-man: The mathematical formula for "energy" is weighted heavily towards Velocity, because velocity is "squared". The amount of mass moving is part of the formula, but not as important as velocity. If you take 5% of the weight away but increase velocity by 5%, you'll have a much larger increase in ft.-lbs. of energy.

Absotively. All other things being equal, a lighter hammer is better for primer ignition. A fast slap beats a slow crushing blow every time. That's why so many of us use lightened hammers in our competition revolvers--like the one in my avatar!

:surprise:

Yep light is better ;) Ive been using 17 Lb mainsprings for some years now, I also

recommend polishing the tag ends of all springs enough and smooth enough the ends wont

grap your finger nail and use 1500 grit emory paper to clean the outside of the springs!!

Jim/Pa

Sailors :blush::devil: