Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

11-87 wont cycle shotshells(fed #6 or #8) w/ 18.5in barrel

jwfuhrman

So I picked up a 18.5in Remington Rifle sighted barrel to use for 3 gun and the damn gun wont cycle shotshells with that barrel. The factory 28in broomstick barrel works fine, but the 18.5in wont cycle anything but Buckshot, Slugs or Magnum Shotshells.

HELP! lol

It produced more pressure with the 28" barrel with the low-power loads. Not enough pressure to cycle the bolt with the low-brass #8's in the 18" barrel. I'm not an expert with 11-87s, but my guess. Someone here will give you tuning tips...

Jeff

+1 on trying Activator before ripping bigger holes.

Some Remington Barrels are set up for hot loads (Solids etc), the holes will be too small some of the time for shotshells that are loaded to less pressure especially 1 1/8 oz or lighter.

+1000 on cleaning the thing. We get a bunch or gas operated 12g shotguns back just before waterfowl season that have suddenly starting failing to cycle. The reason is that they were never cleaned properly 10months ago (the last time they were used) and the oil is gummed up and the gas port is filled with black poooo!!!!!

I use Slide Glide where-ever possible on shotguns. For gas guns I use std, for the Inertia Recoil (Benelli) I tend to use Lite. But you must clean a gas gun soon after shooting, re-oil and re-grease evrything each time. I ran a 11-87 for years and never had a problem. Change the gas seal regularly too. If they have a cut in them they just don't work as good. Keep a spare 2 handy.

The more I think about it I keep remembering this...

Barrels shorter than 26" are not equipped with pressure-compensating gas system; they work with 2-3/4" mag or 3" magnum shotshells only.

(various retailer's websites)

And this Straight from Remington

If the gun is a Premier or Special Purpose with a barrel length shorter than 26" it will not be pressure compensated and will only function properly with magnum ammunition. A field barrel or target barrel can be interchanged on 1187 3" guns to allow the use of lighter loads.

The more I think about it I keep remembering this...

Barrels shorter than 26" are not equipped with pressure-compensating gas system; they work with 2-3/4" mag or 3" magnum shotshells only.

(various retailer's websites)

And this Straight from Remington

If the gun is a Premier or Special Purpose with a barrel length shorter than 26" it will not be pressure compensated and will only function properly with magnum ammunition. A field barrel or target barrel can be interchanged on 1187 3" guns to allow the use of lighter loads.

This is correct. The accelerator should help, but otherwise you may have to open up the gas ports. Your other option is to sell that barrel and cut down a 26"+ barrel to about 22"... the extra length is not a disadvantage for 3-gun, and the self-adjusting gas system on that barrel will allow you to shoot any ammo you like. If you absolutely must have rifle sights, there are several aftermarket options that bolt onto the vent rib.