Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

video of PW Auto-Drive for Dillon 650

post-22956-126469121696_thumb.jpg

That linkage sure looks like it would put quite a bit of side load on the shaft, not ideal, especially when it’s running in aluminum. I guess it does get better by the time it’s seeing a lot of load (at least with short pistol brass) but there are better ideas for auto 650’s out there if you look for them. In their defense the 1050 is a lot easier to automate than the 650.

post-22956-126469121696_thumb.jpg

That linkage sure looks like it would put quite a bit of side load on the shaft, not ideal, especially when it’s running in aluminum. I guess it does get better by the time it’s seeing a lot of load (at least with short pistol brass) but there are better ideas for auto 650’s out there if you look for them. In their defense the 1050 is a lot easier to automate than the 650.

Jmorris, did you see the video above? There seems to be no side load on the press itself, the auto operation is all via the up and down on the ram, you need to see the video thats posted above, it's much more descriptive than the pictures.

Alan

Look at the photo above and think what the shaft would do if it were made of rubber. It would bend to the right as the linkage begins to rise and pull to the left as it lowers. Now realize that the shaft is made of 1.5” thick solid steel but what it’s riding in is aluminum. It just doesn’t look right to me. Even a simple scissor linkage, while more parts, would at least be pure vertical movement.

Look at the photo above and think what the shaft would do if it were made of rubber. It would bend to the right as the linkage begins to rise and pull to the left as it lowers. Now realize that the shaft is made of 1.5” thick solid steel but what it’s riding in is aluminum. It just doesn’t look right to me. Even a simple scissor linkage, while more parts, would at least be pure vertical movement.

I'm not sure if you seen the whole video, The linkage you are refering to,Is attached to both sides of the 650 mainshaft. It can't push right or left. That same linkage has been on shotshell loaders for 45+ years. as I was informed from the factory. It's the same on Ponsness Warren,Spolar,and Horniday. I called the factory and talked to Dick Medly (THE OWNER) and got anwsers to all my questions. Also had a very lengthy discussion about differnt Ideas and opinions here on this forum,I think he would enjoy talking to you.

I did not say the linkage put any side load on the ram, left or right. Just that it’s not a pure vertical (or as close to as possible) load that the standard 650 has, for and aft. Again only the longest of rifle loads would do that with what they have come up with. Either way, Dillon has a great warranty you don’t have to do a good company wrong by f’ing up something that would have otherwise lasted a life time.

I have a lot of loaders from many builders (I have worn out a few too). The PW unit for the 1050 works well. I am not saying the PW 650 kit doesn’t work, we can see that it does. I just don’t think that it is ideal.

I will also admit that I don’t have a better solution for the 650 but again the 650 isn’t enough of a machine by itself to warrant that either. Again, no slight on Dillon just the facts.

Almost all of the machines I use for mass ammo are Dillon’s but it’s the other machines I have built that make them run without problems.

• 3 weeks later...