Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sordin active ear protection- which model?

lugnut

Seems like lots of folks like these. Most here say they have the Sordin Surpreme Pro X with 18 db NRR. What about the other models?? Seems that the Pro CutOff / Level Dependent model might be best. It's rated at 23db NRR as well.

Here is what is says for the Pro CutOff/Level Dependent:

"Ideal for use at shooting ranges, industries with high impulse noises, road maintenance, railroad work and other hazardous environments."

If I could do it all over again, I'd buy another brand. Not worth the money.

I'm on the other side of the fence. I really love my Sordin Surpreme Pro X muffs. Of the many tried through the years, these have been the best for me

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a replacement set if the current set (2 years old) gets lost or dies.

Bill

I'm on the other side of the fence. I really love my Sordin Surpreme Pro X muffs. Of the many tried through the years, these have been the best for me

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a replacement set if the current set (2 years old) gets lost or dies.

Bill

I agree - the Pro-X are the way to go. They also have a 5-year warranty from MSA if you didn't know.

The gel ear pieces are awesome, btw.

You don't say what your use will be. How loud and how much exposure plays a big part in the choice.

I spent three days at a shooting camp this weekend being exposed to gun shots from multiple people in close proximity. Most of the instructors were wearing the top model Sordins - but they are exposed pistols, rifles, shotguns, etc on a weekly basis which makes the investment well worth the money.

I took two electronic muffs with me, an old pair of Peltor 6's and a new pair of Howard Leight Impact Sport. The Peltors were good but the Leights were very good. I could hear conversations clearly and hear every shot and every ding of the shot hitting steel but without any of the impact "noise".

It's your money, and the Sordins are very highly rated, but you might want to consider trying the Impact Sports first. They are a fraction of the cost and if you are unhappy with them, you should be able to sell them easily.

I thought my usage was implied by this forum. :) Action shooting both indoors and outdoors mostly.... with some occasional other stuff mixed in. I realize the big muffs aren't too good with long guns.

I still think the Pro CutOff/Level Dependent model from Sordin on spec looks better than the Surpreme Pro X- any have that model? Thanks.

Edited by lugnut

I have two pairs of the impact sports also... Very cheap, but they aren't even in the same league as far as sounding natural goes.

The Pro-X are the best all-around muffs that Sodin makes. Very compact & lightweight, which does imply a lower NRR. You need more mass for more sound deadending & there just aren't many ways around it unless you go in-ear.

18dB is fine for nearly all shooting in my experience. You may want to double up no matter the muffs with ported open guns around.

I have had my Pro Xs for two years and would not consider anything else. They are one of a very few sets that I have used that did not interfere whn shooting long guns. I odn't have the gel ear pads on mine. Who can you order the gel ear pads from?

Edited by Jaxshooter

Bill

I agree - the Pro-X are the way to go. They also have a 5-year warranty from MSA if you didn't know.

The gel ear pieces are awesome, btw.

:cheers: I agree, I have tried many kinds and after the MSA Sordins I have not had a desire to try others. +1 on the Gel ear pieces, made a great headset even better.

ese

Ok, is there a good place to get the sordins? I see midway is currently out.

Seiichi

I am not sure anymore. I did a Google search when I was looking for them and just went to a lot of web sites and looked for the best price. I know a few guys on my department who recently got them from Botach Tactical. Some people like Botach some hate them. I have never had a problem with them and always got what I ordered. Just check around.

I have a 3 year old set of Pros and wish I had the Pro X for the northwest wet weather. I found a pair of gel ear cups from Germany that help keep them cool during our hotter months. I came from using the Peltor 6s and was amazed at how much better they are. It does take a little getting used to how much more noise they pick up (like in the other bay) but they are very durable and I've only needed to change out the batteries once so far. Hoping they might fail and give me a reason to get a pair of the Pro X, no such luck.

It does take a little getting used to how much more noise they pick up (like in the other bay)

Tell me about it. The first time I stepped to the line wearing my Pro X a fellow shooter arrived a little late. Even though he was a good 30 yards away, the sound on crunching gravel as he drove up the road sort of unnerved me. It sounded like he was right behind me.

Unless you already have a hearing problem, you will never need to set the volume at maximum.

Bill

I bought a set of Caldwell E-Max low profile electronic muffs as a backup for my Silencio's and am now using them exclusively. They fit better, feel better and only cost $25 bucks! Shipped! Went back to buy additional pairs for my family and they were sold out everywhere. I guess lots of people found out about them. I ended up ordering 6 pair and waiting 3 weeks for delivery.