Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930SPX for 3 gun?

JSGlock34

Howdy!

I recently found out that my range is going to begin holding the occasional 3-gun match. I shoot IDPA regularly but haven't had much opportunity to get into 3-gun. Though I'm set with a pistol and rifle, I'll need to pick up a shotgun to participate. Hence, my first post here...

My research so far suggests that the Benellis are at the top of the pyramid, though the Remington 1100 and Winchester SX2/FN SLP lines seem to have their loyal followers. I've been looking intently at the SLP, since the Winchester has been discontinued and the Benellis are a bit out of my price range (especially considering how often I plan on shooting - see below).

Recently I've been noticing the Mossberg 930 SPX getting some attention. Now I've heard mixed reviews about Mossberg semi-autos, but the 930SPX seems to have a lot of great features at a really attractive price point. I've yet to read anyting negative about the SPX - in fact, all I'm coming across on the internet are rave reviews. Plus, I can't help but notice that it looks just like the 18" SLP - down to the LPA sights and rail.

FNM0018m.jpg

FN SLP 18"

85360.jpg

Mossberg 930SPX

Has anyone used the Mossberg 930 SPX for three gun or compared it to the other models? While I'll continue to shoot IDPA monthly, the range is looking to offer 3-gun only 2-3 times per year, so this shotgun is going to spend a good amount of time in the safe and taken out only occasionally. With that in mind, I can pick up the Mossberg for about $500 and the SLP for $800, so the price difference is considerable.

Thoughts? Appreciate the help.

Edited by JSGlock34

Jarrett - Welcome to the forums! :cheers:

Can't address your question directly but I will say I had a Mossberg pump for years and it was a really nice and smooth pump gun. Has/had the twin rails and worked as well (IMO) as my Remmy 870. I would get a gun with a 21 barrel though...

Edited by Merlin Orr

Thanks for the kind welcome. The more I read the more I think the SPX would make an excellent entry level semi for competition/home defense use.

Some additional questions...

1) Is 7+1 vs 8+1 really a significant difference in 3-gun?

2) What's the major advantage of the pistol grip in competition? I've read that Choate will be offering a pistol grip stock for this shotgun in December.

I don't believe the Mossberg is a direct copy of the Browning/Winchester SX2/FN SLP, though as the picture shows there is definitely a strong resemblance. Perhaps the Mossberg's design was influenced by the SX2/SLP. The Mossberg differs significantly in the placement of the safety (which is on the tang vice on the rear of the trigger guard). Not sure how the internals are similar or different - might be interesting to see one stripped.

Ammo capacity is a big deal... less rounds = more time on the clock loading, plus less flexibility how you shoot the stage. I shoot a Rem11-87 with a 10+1 mag tube; yes, I can only start with 9 in the gun, but once the buzzer goes off I have a lot more options in how I shoot the stage (under IMGA rules anyway).

The big thing to look at is how easy it is to load more shells in the mag tube. It looks like there might be a lifter release button on the side - if this has to be held in as the gun os loaded, this is a significant handicap.

I looked at the various models on the Mossberg website - most of the long barrels have ported barrels, which are illegal for limited/Tactical division in most 3-gun matches.

Lastly, if you want to use a pistol grip stock, then the Mosberg is not such a great choice due to the placement of the safety. Also, be aware of 922r issues if the gun is made overseas.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

• 9 months later...

I'm probably going to order a 930 SPX tomorrow. I originally intended to buy a 930 24" Turkey and add a mag extension, but then I learned that the ported barrel was a no-go for limited and tactical. Bummer. I'll end up putting a Choate extension on the SPX eventually (even though it'll stick out past the muzzle a couple inches) to bump the capacity up to 8+1.

This is a fairly old thread. Anyone have anything new to add? I have been looking at the 930SPX as well...

Take care,

Dave

search is your friend.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...&hl=930+spx

Thanks.

I did search. Typed in 930SPX and got this thread and a thread about a 10.5" AR upper.......... :mellow:

I typed in "930 SPX".