Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speer 200 gr. JHP "Flying Ashtray"

David Sinko

Does Speer still make the old 200 gr. JHP "Flying Ashtray?" Or has it been replaced by the Gold Dot? It's not listed on their website and their online question submission form isn't working for me. I see Dillon sells a 200 gr. JHP but I don't know if this is the same one or not.

Dave Sinko

I am pretty sure they stopped making that bullet years ago, not sure if it was replaced by the Gold dot? I found a shop with some old stock and bought 3 boxes (all they had) of them for future use.

Neal in AZ

The "Flying Ashtray" was intended to be replaced with a Gold Dot about 15 years ago. Several of us argued that it was popular, and they left it in the line until the equipment used to make it was retired maybe ten years ago. The 200gr Gold Dot replaced it then.

Guy

Thanks for the responses. I have occasionally been finding this bullet for sale up until last year. The 200 gr. Gold Dot just does not have that wide a hollow point, which is what I want. I have seen a 200 gr. "revolver" Gold Dot Hollow Point listed for sale (I think from Midway) which they claim has a cannelure and I presume the wider, sharper nose profile common to the revolver Gold Dot bullets. But then this isn't listed on the Speer website either!

Dave Sinko

Thanks for the responses. I have occasionally been finding this bullet for sale up until last year. The 200 gr. Gold Dot just does not have that wide a hollow point, which is what I want. I have seen a 200 gr. "revolver" Gold Dot Hollow Point listed for sale (I think from Midway) which they claim has a cannelure and I presume the wider, sharper nose profile common to the revolver Gold Dot bullets. But then this isn't listed on the Speer website either!

Dave Sinko

I have a box of Speer 200 gr JHP's from about 20 years ago. What is the stock number of the "flying ashtray"? That's probably what these are.

Dave Sinko

I have a box of Speer 200 gr JHP's from about 20 years ago. What is the stock number of the "flying ashtray"? That's probably what these are.

It is easy to tell if it is a flying ashtray. Take a pencil with eraser, if the eraser fits in the hollow point it is a flying ashtray.

Dave Sinko

It is easy to tell if it is a flying ashtray. Take a pencil with eraser, if the eraser fits in the hollow point it is a flying ashtray.

Well, the pencil eraser fits, so it must be the ashtrays. Speer number is 4477. I seem to have most of a box of them. Now I'll have to decide what to load them with and then what to do with the loaded rounds.

Well, the pencil eraser fits, so it must be the ashtrays. Speer number is 4477. I seem to have most of a box of them. Now I'll have to decide what to load them with and then what to do with the loaded rounds.

Yes 4477 is the Flying Ashtray. I had some factory ammo both CCI Lawman and Blazer. I am now down to my last box of projectiles. I load with 6.7grains of Clays Universal which gives me 940fps in a 5". Interestingly in a recent article in American Handgunner, they report this powder as having no muzzle flash. Just the thing for when things go bump in the night.

Peter

there are still a few boxes of cci blazer 200 grain hollow point bullets floating around, they were loaded with the rest of the "flying ashtray" bullets.

I have some of the bullets, loaded with 6.0 grains of 231, they make my glock 21 a bowling pin monster.

Harmon

Loaded them for years with 8.0 gr. of unique for about 1200 fps. Killed well.

Are we talking about a .45 ACP @ 1200 FPS here? Sounds pretty stout!

.45 SUPER can do it.

I've loaded up .45SUPER for deer season with a 5" S&W 625.

here's some load data:

click