Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 mm major bullet choice

Bummy425

I failed in my search attempt, but is there any reason you can't use a cast coated bullet for 9 major in an open gun? I see most agree that plated are not suitable, but what about coated?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Cast bullets, when driven to too high a velocity, strip through the rifling and lead the barrel.  They may end up tumbling because they do not receive adequate spin.

I've not pushed coated bullets to that extreme, but I expect the same to happen since the coating is not as hard as a true jacket.

At least one maker of coated bullets does not recommend pushing his 9mm coated bullets to Major. 

Larger bullets, such as 45's do not need to travel as fast, so they can be used in Major loads.

Guy

35 minutes ago, CZinZA said:

I use coated cast bullets in my 9mm major load .   no issues with leading 

1.  how many lead bullets have you fired at 1500 fps thru your firearm?

2.  do you have a compensator on the end of the barrel?

3.  how much time do you spend cleaning the barrel/comp?

1.  how many lead bullets have you fired at 1500 fps thru your firearm?
2.  do you have a compensator on the end of the barrel?
3.  how much time do you spend cleaning the barrel/comp?
1 Only about 2000. I haven't been shooting open for long
2 Yes
3 I have never cleaned it

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk

I ran about 5,000 FMJ's (exposed lead base) thru my TruBor 9mm Major

in the first year (mostly 115 gr at 1500 fps), and eventually my comp was

all clogged up.

Took a LOT of work to unclog it.

Since then, I've read that people who shoot lead or FMJ's thru their 

comps spray the comp before shooting, and do some light cleaning

after shooting - they say they get good results.

BUT, my experience is that after you've fired a few thousand more

lead bullets thru your comp, you're going to be in for a long, hard

cleaning session.

I’ve been running blue bullets thru my open guns for 2-3 years, started with the 125s at 1400 FPS, and now run the 115s at 1500 fps

they don’t lead up the barrel, and I do get some crude in the comp, about the same as when I ran fmj

And it takes me a minute or 2 to scrape it out which is about the same time it took me to clean the comps when I ran both fmj and jhp

everytime I clean the gun every 1k rounds or so

I’ve also had a buddy who harvested a bunch a bullets when our impact berm got washed out tell me that when he melted the lead, he was pulling complete blue “jackets” out of his pot

bare lead bullets don't go with comps.  Not only do they lead them up quickly, they smoke a lot.  You should not use FMJs for the same reason, unless they have a cap on the base to cover the exposed lead.

Poly coated bullets may be used with a comp.  Some, such as Precision bullets have the coating flame cut by the gasses and lead the barrel and comp.  Others work, but leave some coating goo in the comp.

Whoever said plated bullets are no good for Open is just plain nuts.  I haven't tried all of them, so there may be some that tumble.  I've heard that rumor, but never seen it.  I've used thousands of plated bullets in both my Open guns, without problems.  Of the ones I've tried, the Rainier plated are the best for consistency and accuracy.  They are superb.  X-Treme bullets are good, but not as good as the Rainiers.  Same with Berry's.  Any of those three will work just fine for Open.  If you are going to drive them above 1250, buy the thick plate bullets.  All Rainiers are thick plate.  BTW, the Rainiers are more accurate in both my guns than the Montana Gold JHPs I also shoot.