Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 1100 (12 ga)

IGOTGLOCKED

I've just recently performed a pretty detailed cleaning on my 1100, the only thing I didn't remove was the bolt assembly because I didn't know how and also didn't have the time to figure out how to fix it if I did something wrong - lol!

My question is I found a what appears to be an "O" ring around the magazine tube or whatever it is called when I removed the barrel. Seems a little loose however it is intact. I've never changed it consequently it has to be the original. I bought the gun new in about 1985 so I suspect I should replace it, right? If so while I am changing that is there anything else I should also do?

Thanks in advance!

IGG

After 32 years, I'd say yes it's time for a cleaning.  :^)

Lots of places have replacement O-rings.  I bought a bag of 50 from Oringcity.com, but I doubt you'll need that many.  :^)

If you have a source for O-rings, its a AS568-021-090.  Viton material will last longer with use, but Buna may be OK for occasional shooting and sitting in the safe.

7 minutes ago, pyrrhic3gun said:

After 32 years, I'd say yes it's time for a cleaning.  :^)

Lots of places have replacement O-rings.  I bought a bag of 50 from Oringcity.com, but I doubt you'll need that many.  :^)

If you have a source for O-rings, its a AS568-021-090.  Viton material will last longer with use, but Buna may be OK for occasional shooting and sitting in the safe.

Hey thanks p3gun!

It of course has been kept clean, just not to this level of detail. How often/how many rounds should the O ring be changed going forward? Also is the bolt assembly able to be removed for a more detailed cleaning without special tools?

Cheers!

IGG

It depends on how much you shoot it.  Just check the o-ring when you clean it.  If it feels brittle or worn, I change it.

Remove the barrel and the trigger assembly, and the charging handle.  Then hold the "bolt carrier assembly" (or whatever the piece that slides over the magazine tube is called)

in your left hand, reach in the bottom port with your right hand and depress the feed latch to let the bolt assembly slide forward out of the receiver.

Or get somebody familiar with Remingtons to show you.

20 hours ago, pyrrhic3gun said:

It depends on how much you shoot it.  Just check the o-ring when you clean it.  If it feels brittle or worn, I change it.

Remove the barrel and the trigger assembly, and the charging handle.  Then hold the "bolt carrier assembly" (or whatever the piece that slides over the magazine tube is called)

in your left hand, reach in the bottom port with your right hand and depress the feed latch to let the bolt assembly slide forward out of the receiver.

Or get somebody familiar with Remingtons to show you.

Much appreciated! Doesn't sound too complicated, I think I'll watch a YT clip first though. Would this be a similar process in detailed breakdown and cleaning of my Remington 742 as well?

Cheers!

16 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

O-Ring end of the season

New steel rings about every 5 years

I keep a set with the gun ( in the case etc)

Whoa, ok this is a new one. What steel rings because I am a wee bit past the five year mark!

Thanks!

My 1100's are all in the late 70's to early 1980's vintage.

They have two steel rings and the rubber o ring on the mag tube.

In front of the bolt carrier group and behind the barrel band where the gas port/ports are

Neil

2 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

My 1100's are all in the late 70's to early 1980's vintage.

They have two steel rings and the rubber o ring on the mag tube.

In front of the bolt carrier group and behind the barrel band where the gas port/ports are

Neil

Thanks Neil! I'll look to see when I install the O ring gasket.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2017 at 11:37 AM, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Would this be a similar process in detailed breakdown and cleaning of my Remington 742 as well?

IMHO, the 742 is Satan's gift to shooters.  Without removing the barrel (which is out-of-the-scope of most home gunsmithing projects), the bolt can't be removed from the gun.

I tell people that you simply clean it as best you can and then send it back to the factory for repair (if they even have the part that you need).

Been doing this for over 30 years.  I've removed one barrel from a 742 (but admittedly, most of my work is not hunting rifles).

On 10/15/2017 at 2:05 PM, Braxton1 said:

IMHO, the 742 is Satan's gift to shooters.  Without removing the barrel (which is out-of-the-scope of most home gunsmithing projects), the bolt can't be removed from the gun.

I tell people that you simply clean it as best you can and then send it back to the factory for repair (if they even have the part that you need).

Been doing this for over 30 years.  I've removed one barrel from a 742 (but admittedly, most of my work is not hunting rifles).

Thx, sounds complicated...

I am a 74x(x) junkie.  Someone gave me a physically 95% 7400 in .270 years ago.  Gun would not hold the bolt back, extractor broken and just gummy.  The trigger group is similar to the 100/870/742X, but that is where all similarities end. 

You will need the barrel wrench, as posted above, to remove the barrel and bolt.  This is not a job for the weak at heart.  The bolt op handle is also held in by a tiny roll that is a PITA to get back in.  The bolt itself is overly complex in the 7400, but the 742 is a certified nightmare to re/disassemble. 

Anyway,  for whatever reason I have become the orphanage for 74x(x0s.  They are multiplying at my house.  I restore them, shoot them and put them away.  Why, I don't know.

+1 on keeping the 1100 rings on hand.  Besides the staked spring for the feed gate thing, rings have been the only failures I have had.  And I have a few of them.  Since I am poor, it is my choice for 3gun.

On 10/18/2017 at 3:24 PM, rhett45acp said:

I am a 74x(x) junkie.  Someone gave me a physically 95% 7400 in .270 years ago.  Gun would not hold the bolt back, extractor broken and just gummy.  The trigger group is similar to the 100/870/742X, but that is where all similarities end. 

You will need the barrel wrench, as posted above, to remove the barrel and bolt.  This is not a job for the weak at heart.  The bolt op handle is also held in by a tiny roll that is a PITA to get back in.  The bolt itself is overly complex in the 7400, but the 742 is a certified nightmare to re/disassemble. 

Anyway,  for whatever reason I have become the orphanage for 74x(x0s.  They are multiplying at my house.  I restore them, shoot them and put them away.  Why, I don't know.

+1 on keeping the 1100 rings on hand.  Besides the staked spring for the feed gate thing, rings have been the only failures I have had.  And I have a few of them.  Since I am poor, it is my choice for 3gun.

Well... Perhaps a winter project - after deer season!

Thanks for the warning!