Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 SC bulge buster die

phoneman3985

I have a Lee Bulge Buster in the 9mm Luger (9 Makarov FCD) setup.  It works great on my 9mm Major loads.  My shooting partner is having a few slight bulge issues in his 38 SC ammo.  I am thinking that the SC ammo could be run through my 9mm LBB setup and it would solve this issue.  Can I use this same setup to run 38 SC rounds through to remove the bulge or do I have to buy the 38 SC FCD?  Steer me in the right direction, but isn't the SC and 9mm BASICALLY the same diameter brass, just rim and length differences?  Thanks.

4 hours ago, phoneman3985 said:

I have a Lee Bulge Buster in the 9mm Luger (9 Makarov FCD) setup.  It works great on my 9mm Major loads.  My shooting partner is having a few slight bulge issues in his 38 SC ammo.  I am thinking that the SC ammo could be run through my 9mm LBB setup and it would solve this issue.  Can I use this same setup to run 38 SC rounds through to remove the bulge or do I have to buy the 38 SC FCD?  Steer me in the right direction, but isn't the SC and 9mm BASICALLY the same diameter brass, just rim and length differences?  Thanks.

No. Both are same caliber but the 9 is tapered so it has a fatter base.

You can't bulge bust with a sizing die. You need a die like the Lee FCD that has a carbide ring close to minimum chamber dimensions.

The .380 FCD is too small and the 9mm Mak is too large, but you can always TRY the 9mm Mak die. It should ONLY contact a bulge, since it is a smaller diameter case. You're not going to hurt anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the solution you are looking for here is an undersized die from Lee or EGW. Having loaded and processed hundreds of thousands of 9mm and 38SC from dozens of sources, the U-die solves all these issues with bulges, case tension, etc.