Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First AR Build - Lower

SlvrDragon50

Hi!

I'm considering starting to build an AR, primarily just because I want to have one but also because I'm contemplating 2 gun. Unfortunately, as a grad student, funds are super limited. I could definitely afford to spend $1000 on a built AR, but I keep reading everyone's recommendations to just build your own. I'm all for spending a bit more money up front rather than sampling a bunch of goods.

Since I go to school out of state, I can only pick up FFL items a few times a year. I was thinking about just picking up a lower since it'll allow me to get in with a smaller upfront investment (esp since I'm planning another pistol purchase too). Plus, I can ship all the other items to me in Illinois as I find them. However, I have absolutely no clue what to look for in lowers.

I'm thinking of going with a forged lower. I don't think the billet is worth the extra cost, but I haven't looked too much. I saw the Lancer LR15 lower which looked pretty nice, but lots of people are recommending Noveske as well? I've been looking at a Wilson Combat set for ~550 too. Or am I just wasting money on these fancy lowers? Aero Precision has a stripped receiver set for only $125. I saw JP offered a lower build starting at $500. 

I think overall, I don't want to spend more than $1500 since at $2000 I'd rather just get a JP-15 and be done with it. I've been reading that you don't want to cut corners on the barrel, optic, and trigger, but I'm not sure how cheap I should go on the receiver set.

Thanks for the help.

Any lower or receiver set should work. You get some neat perks with the more expensive billet lowers like ambidextrous bolt release, ambi mag release, set screws instead of roll pins, weight reduction cuts, etc. I personally like the ambi bolt release features so I normally recommend San Tan Tactical or Ascend Armory receivers if it fits in your budget. If you're tight on funds... I'd pick Aero. Can't go wrong for the price...

Aero parts are as good as anyone's. 

Anderson is probably the best value going right now. PSA is often a good deal as well. I don't care about roll marks, just function.

Really the only bad reports I've ever read in any volume have been batches from small virtually unknown usually local "manufacturers" I suspect most of them have pulled out of the market.

I bought the cheapest receiver set I could find (Anderson forged, $80 for the set) for a pistol build. Compared to my Spike's lower/BCM upper (which I would consider high quality companies) I built my first rifle on, the only difference is the roll mark. Pick the roll mark you like best and go with it. My 3-gun rifle built on a Battle Arms Development lightweight receiver set is billet and on a whole other level, but it was also $500. Billet can be had for cheap though. Aim Surplus has Noreen Firearms billet receiver sets for $89.95 (currently sold out) and the lowers for $38.95 (in stock). It's 6061 aluminum, but 99% of people won't truly be affected by the difference. Aim also has Royal Arms billet lowers that are 7075 for $99.95 (currently sold out).

Awesome, thanks!

I think I only liked the Lancer because of the flared magwell, but otherwise all of the lowers looked pretty much the same to me. It seems like the only lower receivers worth paying for are if they have actual physical differences like the Lancer or lightweight features.

Now is the Aero Precision M4E1 platform going to net me any performance gains or is it just going to lock me to their platform?

Now is the Aero Precision M4E1 platform going to net me any performance gains or is it just going to lock me to their platform?

It will just limit you to their proprietary forearm. Even the receivers that have built in features there are good bolt on options, magwell, BAD lever, oversized trigger guard, short throw safety, etc etc that are all cheaper and universally compatible

Unless I was assembling a left handed side charger, I would not feel like I needed a special receiver set.

That being said, I did buy the American defense ambidextrous receiver set, but just because I liked it at the time. I have Aero, PSA, and Daniel Defense receivers and they are all the same tho

4 hours ago, DesertTortoise said:

It will just limit you to their proprietary forearm. Even the receivers that have built in features there are good bolt on options, magwell, BAD lever, oversized trigger guard, short throw safety, etc etc that are all cheaper and universally compatible

Unless I was assembling a left handed side charger, I would not feel like I needed a special receiver set.

That being said, I did buy the American defense ambidextrous receiver set, but just because I liked it at the time. I have Aero, PSA, and Daniel Defense receivers and they are all the same tho

Thanks! So is the same going to hold true for uppers? Not sure if it's better to get a matched set or just buy them separately. I think I'll just end up picking up either an Aero or PSA receiver then.

Uppers have less variety than lowers. Anything works...

Unless you are buying a real "matched set" there is no way to know if you'll have any play between the upper and lower, even if they are the same brand. My expensive billet American Defense receivers have some wobble, but if I put my Aero Upper on that lower, it's nice and tight.
Since the barrel and sights are all on the upper, a little wobble won't hurt anything

Just be 

16 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Awesome, thanks!

I think I only liked the Lancer because of the flared magwell, but otherwise all of the lowers looked pretty much the same to me. It seems like the only lower receivers worth paying for are if they have actual physical differences like the Lancer or lightweight features.

Just be aware that the Lancer lower may not be compatible with the Gen3 PMags and the D60 drum. The over insertion tab on the back may not allow the mag to fully seat and lock in. That and the inability to accept extended mag release buttons is what turned me off to using one for a 3-gun build. I liked everything else about it.

Edited by PatriotMRD

Just now, PatriotMRD said:

Just be 

Just be aware that the Lancer lower may not be compatible with the Gen3 PMags. The over insertion tab on the back may not allow the mag to fully seat and lock in. That and the inability to accept extended mag release buttons is what turned me off to using one for a 3-gun build. I liked everything else about it.

Ah thanks did not know that!

I think I'm going to go with the Aero Precision sets since I see that Monmouth and Primary Arms have some cheap sets. They have a nice 60 degree short throw for 70 bucks!

For the upper receiver, I just know I want one without a FA since I've been reading how rarely it's used. Good to know I don't need a matched set so that'll making buying parts a bit easier! Again, probably gonna go with Aero since most of the cheap uppers have the FA :(

If you don't care about the logo on the side the andersons are a great value, occasionally have to use a smaller grip screws.  I think aero resolved the issues they were having 6 months ago so that's a great deal also.  I've owned most the brands, the only one I've ever had problems with was one of the early bcm lowers.  I wouldn't hesitate with their current offerings

Quality control and the competiveness of the market today makes me feel pretty safe with the quality offered from all the companies nowadays so buy in confidence.