Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which video camera are you all using?

mikeinctown

Wondering which video camera you all use and where do you have it attached, if at all?

I thought it was kinda silly at first but now realize the huge benefit that video can play in training. I'm trying to go through in my head where I could have saved a lot of time each stage my last match but as time goes on I find that I forgot most everything I did and honestly have no clue if I was having reload problems, not paying attention to certain things, when I started turning too slow, etc. So anyway, looking at picking up a camera so I can record and break down the stages and figure where small changes and practice can make the most difference.

I've seen a lot of the "hat cam" videos and really get nothing out of them that helps me adjust training.

Thus, I use 2 go-pro knock offs that I position left and right of me whenever possible so I can review my grip, moves, reloads, errors and double check my time in case the scorekeeper "fat fingered" the Tablet.

They are mounted using a 20+ pound strength magnet from Home Depot with a 1/4" x 20 bolt and attached to the overhead target rails when indoors and our partition walls or any sturdy steel when outdoors.  I also like to put one downrange whenever possible or even on one of those small tripods that I will stick on the berm or chair.

With battery life being around an hour though, I leave the camera off until I am called "on deck" and retrieve it when returning from scoring.  (although I do have 4 extra batteries)

Indoor ranges usually have a lot of lights that make downrange videos harder to see.

On-person video is nearly worthless for analyzing your movement or footwork or really even... much of nsything related to shooting the gun itself.

Its just more entertaining for your friends.

If you want to get better, put your phone into a small tripod with grippy legs and mount it to one of the walls, or better yet have a friend film you from the the side and behind with a phone.

Like said above shooter view video isn't worth much to analyze your performance. But they do make cool videos. I used a GoPro with the head strap and it was ok. I simce got a pair of pivothead video glasses and they are awesome!!! They make really cool hunting footage as well. 

Thanks for the replies so far. I'll definately try to have someone record for me with my phone if possible. I also understand that with the hat mount you may only see the brim of the hat in the view and not something as simple as the reload. Wondering if perhaps mounting on the side of the muffs would work? I use the Impact Pro muffs so there is plenty of real estate available on the left side.

For now I'm trying to see how long I'm taking between pulling the gun up and taking the shot, hand position on grips, field of view (could I have shot sooner around the corner of a wall?) my hand position and speed on reloads, how well I'm jamming the gun into ports, and even how high or low I'm carrying the gun while on the move. Would any or most of these things be on video from the hat or muff view?

I'm going to diverge from the consensus here a little bit.  First, the lowest hanging fruit to address with training that will help you the most will be found from 3rd person views.  Give someone your camera and politely ask them to film in landscape mode with your entire body in the frame.  We pretty much all agree this is the better way to lower stage times and address the key of uspsa which is efficiency of movement and shooting.

However, where I differ is that 1st person views, done well, are immensely valuable in their own right.  If you break it down enough and use it for what it is it can help you spot and learn things about yourself that 3rd person view cannot do.  These are also items that can vastly improve your stage times.  The other great thing about 1st person is the evaluation of your gun handling, both for safety and improvement.  I wish more people would run 1st person and objectively self-evaluate their gun handling behaviors.  Without question it has been helpful to me.  It is a great tool.

1st person done right means a view near my view from a small and unobtrusive package.  A gopro strapped to the top of the hat or side of the muffs just doesn't cut it for me.  I run the polariod cube with a neodymium magnet and slap it on right before I shoot.  On my second one.  I used it on one stage this weekend. https://youtu.be/wVjt1ZAyUyM?t=59s   

Edited by theWacoKid

I would probably say the GoPro is quite a bit of money for what you get and some of the knock-offs are probably just fine.  I did get a bit of a price break on the session through work, so that is what I use.  I agree that first person footage is mush less useful if you are looking for critiquing your performance, so I get someone to film me with the gopro 3rd person.  I like the 60FPS and1080p (although I'm sure many of the newer gen phones can do that as well).  I like the durability and small size.

• 2 weeks later...

use your phone for 3rd person view. Modern smartphones have awesome cameras with high-speed / slow-mo capability which can make things more interesting when you're dissecting your performance. 

As for hatcams, don't think there's anything better and more versatile than the GoPro Hero Session camera. First Person view is great when you want to see your transitions when engaging targets that are obscured by props , walls or heavyset ROs. :)

There was a new shooter who was after me the entire match and he recorded me with my phone on a few stages. I was able to record him as well so it worked out. All I can say is holy crap I see where I'm losing so much time. Just on my last stage in my head I'm running and moving fast but on video I'm moving at more of a quick walk. I'm taking 1/2 second between shots when in a last match I was pulling the trigger almost as fast as I could on many targets. Having to come from slide lock too often, and on my last stage, missed my 31st shot and went to slide lock then had to do a reload for my last shot on steel. Cost me 3 seconds right there. On another I can see just how many misses I had on a texas star and plate rack and the valuable seconds I lost. I see how I'm leaning forward too much and losing time in movement.

Holy crap I never realized just how much one could learn from a darn cell phone video.

I use older version sony action cam, I use it only for 3rd person. With its 170 degrees view I can set it up around my bag and not have to ask anybody to shoot me. Works great but always hate to see all my mistakes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk