Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M1 vs M2

jchris4769

M1 barrels are hard to find, and none of my buddies wanted to trade their safe anchors, or even lend a forend and barrel so I could game.

I got mine cheap a long time ago, reconfiguring a pistol grip + 20" no choke barrel + flashlight as factory = a used M2.

I just happened to love my M1 more than was financially smart.  I keep guns and cars, and save money on cheap women.

Go find a deal on a used M2 that's already done.  

Save yourself a bunch of headache, time, and $.

as somebrains commented, M1 barrels are hard to find... the M2 barrels will fit, but need a modified M1 fore end, or a M2 fore end... the M2's comfort tech stock supposedly reduces come recoil... Jeff Cramblitt made me buy my M1 and Kurt made me loctite the LM choke in...guess I'm stuck with it... naturally would get the more modern M2 if starting over

Here man, I'd probably stop at $1050: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/582865032

I had to buy an M2 forend, that wasn't cheap.  My gun came with a flashlight forend.

Old M1's have a shell catch people like a lot.

I think you can still find them if you look hard enough.

Serial# on an M1 is behind the trigger guard so you can really get into the loading port with a tool.

M1 uses different chokes.

I have a Limbsaver so my 1st event was really no big deal.

Before I'd have a big ol gnarly bruise.

I've never shot a game day with an M2.  I guess if it pounded you a recoil reducing pad of your choice will fix that.

I RO'd my event, and I noticed toward the end of the day for the RO (debug) shoot and the regular event the next that guys oiling their rails 1/2 way thru didn't have as many issues as guys that shot the day and started to drag.

It kinda put the idea of having my bolt TiN coated.  None of the Salient or Taran guns seemed to have as many issues specific to rails drying and bolt dragging.

I did notice the following day my choke had unscrewed itself, maybe 1/8".  Something to pay attention to the next event i shoot.

I guess if you found a 21" or 24" M1 mint under $700, go for it.  More than likely the owner loves the gun and it would be the last one he sold.

Edited by somebrains

Just remembered something you should take into account while chasing a Benelli.

M1 magically fits me.  M2 allows for shimming the gun and fitting yourself way easier.  A few guys were really off shooting my gun.  A lot of available M1 stocks tend to be "tactical" stocks.  If I'm missing something about shimming an M1, please chime in.

M1 field guns have the EXACT same stock shim kits with actually a bit more adjustment. Last I checked Numrick arms had them. I talked about shotgun fit way back around 2000, it is nice to see it finally caught on! I will warn all you "fancy fitters" that a competition shotgun ISN"T like your Skeet and Trap gun and should NEVER have any cast off!!!! In our world you need to be bilateral sometimes and if you have any cast off you are going to be missing!

Main differences between M1 and M2

Receiver not lightened on M1

Trigger housing Aluminum alloy not plastic on M1

Barrel rib a bit taller on the M1 (easier to fit a flip up 10-22 type sight)

Barrel lug support shorter on the M1 (that,s why you need to open up the M1 fore end to fit an M2 barrel)

Stock thicker and heavier on M1, no "comfort Tech"....(put on a nice thick Limb Saver or Kick-Eeze and same same!)

M1 weighs 1/2 -3/4 pound more depending on configuration. 

All internal parts from an M2/M1 fit each other......and many other guns as well.

An M2 choke is an extended choke for an M1, M1 chokes DO NOT fit an M2.....too shallow on threads!

Guns that have a lot of parts commonality but have parts not of the quality of Benelli, Stoeger, Franchi, Remington Versa Max, several other Turkish Knock offs.

Gun that is of the same quality or better than Benelli, Breda, which is just now coming into the U.S. market. I will be switching over to a Breda in the very near future! 

• 1 year later...
On 9/15/2016 at 12:17 PM, kurtm said:

M1 field guns have the EXACT same stock shim kits with actually a bit more adjustment. Last I checked Numrick arms had them. I talked about shotgun fit way back around 2000, it is nice to see it finally caught on! I will warn all you "fancy fitters" that a competition shotgun ISN"T like your Skeet and Trap gun and should NEVER have any cast off!!!! In our world you need to be bilateral sometimes and if you have any cast off you are going to be missing!

Main differences between M1 and M2

Receiver not lightened on M1

Trigger housing Aluminum alloy not plastic on M1

Barrel rib a bit taller on the M1 (easier to fit a flip up 10-22 type sight)

Barrel lug support shorter on the M1 (that,s why you need to open up the M1 fore end to fit an M2 barrel)

Stock thicker and heavier on M1, no "comfort Tech"....(put on a nice thick Limb Saver or Kick-Eeze and same same!)

M1 weighs 1/2 -3/4 pound more depending on configuration. 

All internal parts from an M2/M1 fit each other......and many other guns as well.

An M2 choke is an extended choke for an M1, M1 chokes DO NOT fit an M2.....too shallow on threads!

Guns that have a lot of parts commonality but have parts not of the quality of Benelli, Stoeger, Franchi, Remington Versa Max, several other Turkish Knock offs.

Gun that is of the same quality or better than Benelli, Breda, which is just now coming into the U.S. market. I will be switching over to a Breda in the very near future! 

kurtm...I realize this is an old post...but I was curious if you have made the switch over to Breda.  If so...what was your determining factor?  I like that the b12i is ready out of the box...but that is one ugly trigger guard.  Seems I might be in the market for a new shotgun.  Need help deciding between the M2 or b12i.  Thanks

No I did not. I built a gun for them to "blue print", and like usual they didn't want to really do what needed to be done. After I sent it to them I never heard another word from them. Yes the trigger guard sucks and the one they sent me needed lots of Dremel work to make it not hurt you.....but they may have changed that.....I don't know, because after we stopped talking I lost all interest.

Edited by kurtm

Good to know.  I realize there is a lot of parts that interchange between the two...but I also have to acknowledge that the resale is probably going to be better on the Benelli just for their name recognition.  I was already leaning towards Benelli and have one on order now.  Thanks for the reply.

• 4 years later...

Hi Kurtm, hope this question doesn't go too far back for a response.  I have an M1 and just bought an M2 slug barrel.  I saw your comment re opening up the M1 forend for the M2 barrel and wondered if you would explain how I might accomplish this?  Did not know of this issue when I bought the barrel.

Thanks!

If you have both barrels in hand you will see that the M2 barrel has a longer platform that the barrel ring sits on. Just take a Dremel with a rotary file type cutter and extend the slot in your M1 forend to match the platform of the M-2. Best part is you can still use the forend for the M1 barrel as well.