Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to focus on.

AGreenSmudge

I was reading the two eyes thread and started thinking about this.

I've been shooting pistols for about two years and got formal training late last year. My question is what should I actually be focusing (I.E. clear, sharp image) on? I know you're supposed to watch the front sight with your dominant eye. My current style is is to actually sharp focus with eyes converged on the target, but my mental focus is watching the front sight in the peripheral vision in my right eye and lining it up with the target. Is this correct, or should I be focusing with everything on the front sight? If I do that I get a double vision target and the further the target is away the harder it is to actaully see it.

I may bust out the camera and try to show y'all what I mean if it doesn't make sense.

Edited by AGreenSmudge

What type of shooting are you doing (USPSA, target)?

What gun are you using? Welcome to the Forum. :cheers:

Thanks!

IDPA and general weekend at the range stuff.

Last match I used a borrowed Glock 19, now I use a Steyr S9-A1, but haven't shot a match since I got it.

Edited by AGreenSmudge

1. I focus on the target, but my mental focus is watching the front sight in the peripheral vision.

2. should I focus on the front sight? If I do that I get a double vision target and the further the target is away the harder it is to actaully see it.

Ans.1. You might get away with focusing on the target instead of the sights up close - but as you back up, you'll be more accurate focusing on the front sight, IMHO

2. Not sure why you find it tough to see the target if you focus on the front sight - it might be less sharp than the sights, but that's okay - more imp't to

focus on those sights and keep them sharp, IMHO

But, try both. Set up a target at 18 yards or so, and shoot 10 shots each way. See which way works better for you. :cheers:

• 2 years later...

I was reading the two eyes thread and started thinking about this.

I've been shooting pistols for about two years and got formal training late last year. My question is what should I actually be focusing (I.E. clear, sharp image) on? I know you're supposed to watch the front sight with your dominant eye. My current style is is to actually sharp focus with eyes converged on the target, but my mental focus is watching the front sight in the peripheral vision in my right eye and lining it up with the target. Is this correct, or should I be focusing with everything on the front sight? If I do that I get a double vision target and the further the target is away the harder it is to actaully see it.

I may bust out the camera and try to show y'all what I mean if it doesn't make sense.

I'm guessing, but the double vision is probably only on practice days when you're really trying to figure out what to focus on? And during a match, you probably just go out and do it. That's probably a good distinction - practice to perfect, but on game-day just go out and "dance with the one you brung."

It is possible to focus on the front sight with your eyes converged on the target. You will see one slightly blurry target and two crisp front sights.

For most people your brain will use the sight picture from the dominant eye. There are varying degrees of eye dominance, and some folks need to close or at least squint one eye.

Depends on the difficulty of the target. Sometimes blurry front sight is OK. For more difficult targets you need a clear front sight. Sometimes it's in between.....

If you have difficulty with double vision or ghost images a piece of tape over the lens of your non dominant eye works wonders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk