Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 "mid" Colt

RevolverJockey

I'm running 38 Super 8 shot and the dimensions are about the same.  4.1 Clays Federal Primers and 125g TCFP coated bullet from Bank and Clang.

These bullets are a bit sorter (Brinell 12 vs 16) and no problems.  when I use harder bullets with these light loads I start having bullet pull out of the cases.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, firewood said:

I'm presently trying to get a mid colt load to work for me. I trimmed to .845 (an arbitrary length). my charge is 3.4g titegroup and 147g xtreme plated RN (no crimp groove). I used a 9mm size and taper crimp die. I want this load for the PSA shootout/occasional use or maybe ICORE using a 4" 686. The accuracy is off the charts awful.

Could it be that I'm breaking all the rules for using a 9mm size die and taper crimp and that would be a primary cause of terrible performance? I have to use Federal brass because I already have TK moons and they will not work with starline.  Thanks in advance for any guidance.

My "mid colt" load is: case .900 (38 Super length), 4.0gr Win 231 (same as your HP38), whatever bullet I have. I use powder coated 147gr 9mm (sized .3565), 147gr Blue Bullets (sized.358), Extreme 9mm 135, Bayou 9mm 135, etc. They all shoot great out of all of my 38/357 guns.

BTW I am getting around a 128 PF depending on the gun (4, 5 or 6 in).

I FL size in a 38/357 die, flare with a 9mm and seat/taper crimp (1 step) with a 9mm die. All dies are Lee.

I have not had any bullet pull.

Hope the info helps...

Edited by Dr. Phil

Also, in my personal opinion - I feel that going out and spending all the time and energy to work up a mid colt load isnt really worth the effort.

short colts are .750", long colts are 1.00" - just make the choice on either of those and go that route. Time is valuable , brass is cheap, and last forever.

Edited by alecmc

15 hours ago, alecmc said:

Also, in my personal opinion - I feel that going out and spending all the time and energy to work up a mid colt load isnt really worth the effort.

short colts are .750", long colts are 1.00" - just make the choice on either of those and go that route. Time is valuable , brass is cheap, and last forever.

The only reason I'm doing this exercise is due to the fact I have 30pcs TK moons and they will not fit Starline.

21 hours ago, alecmc said:

I'll be at the PSA on Thursday.

I also just use an 8 shot for the iron sight 6 shot division at the PSA. Just make sure you're good at counting and reloading after 6

I'm starting to move in the direction of counting off 6 shots.  Gonna be there on Friday too bad.

7 hours ago, firewood said:

The only reason I'm doing this exercise is due to the fact I have 30pcs TK moons and they will not fit Starline.

probably be easy enough to sell those and re-buy clips specific to starline

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 5:38 PM, alecmc said:

probably be easy enough to sell those and re-buy clips specific to starline

That or learn to count to 6 and use my iron sight 929 which I think is what i'm going to do. That's me living on the edge! LOL

Edited by firewood

• 5 years later...

Apologies to all for creating a zombie thread but after a lot of searching for data for 38 Mid Colt load I kept coming back to this thread and not finding exactly what I wanted I decided to post my results to this thread so others searching for the same info can find it here.

Here you go:

Colt Python, 4.25" barrel

Starline 38 Special brass cut to 0.900"

160 grain Blue Bullets

Sport Pistol 3.50 grains (average of 10 throws on Dillon 550B)

OAL 1.330"

Fed 100 SPP

Ave - 810

Hi - 819

Lo - 798

ES - 21

SD - 7.9

# of shots - 11

Power Factor - 129.6

Recorded on a LabRadar, indoor range