Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays International Powder

Endurokids

I had some extra when I reloaded 20 gauge. I tried to find data too. There is basically no pistol data for International Clays. Hodgdon says it builds pressure too quickly. Small changes will quickly cause pressure spikes. Find a shotgun shooter to trade for regular Clays or Universal Clays.

I thought I replied to this once, but don't see it here so here goes again... When you don't see ANY uses of a particular powder in certain applications it is because the manufacturers and others have found that the powder in question gets squirrely when used in those applications (read weird, unusual, non-linear pressure "events"... or kaboooms if you will.). I had wondered about International Clays for years having never seen it used for any pistol caliber application, but then it finally dawned on me that THERE ARE NONE! It is an invitation to disaster to put a square peg in a round hole.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I'm back. I have some Berry's 124 hp's and Clays Universal powder now.

What do you recommend as far as powder charge to make minor. I'm not looking for the lightest loads, as too light make my XDm 5.25 with a 16 lb spring, not eject the cases.

(I'm also going to try a 14 lb spring this week.)

Thanks to all again.