Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS 3G1 308

lsr1238

I've been itching to buy a semi-auto 308 but want to keep the cost around $2000 or under, run an optic on it, use Pmags (SR25/M110 type), primarily used for 3 gun in the future. That pretty much leaves DPMS 3G1 308 and Colt's new 901. There's plenty of T&E reports and youtube vids on the Colt 901 but none on the DPMS. Although the Colt 901's feature to be able to use a 223/5.56 upper on it would be nice, especially when it provides a nice large magwell, it's something I don't really need.

The DPMS 3G1 308 is listed for $1303.32 on Grabagun.com and $1349.00 at BudsGunShop.com, while the Colt 901 is estimated to go for around $2000.00.

The DPMS 3G1 308 is similar to the 5.56 version, and will have a JP single stage trigger, 18" stainless 1-10", billet lower, at 8.5lbs.

The Colt 901 has a 16" heavy barrel 1-12", at 9.4lbs, I don't know the other specs.

Has anyone handled a DPMS 3G1 308? Or both? Anyone with recommendations of one over the other?

I've had a .308 3G1 for almost 2 years and its a pretty good value. The accuracy is so-so with my best groups about 1.5 moa with M118LR. My handloads are about the same but not as consistent. The trigger is good and the gun handles well overall but is a bit heavy (so are all the other HM guns). The comp could be better and I plan to switch it out soon. The only problems I have had.

1, A blown primer got under the trigger on a long range stage. Not the guns fault.

2, Broke an extractor on another long range stage. Both of these were at bigger matches and cost my results dearly.

If price is an issue, I would recomend it. If not, buy a JP.

I've had a .308 3G1 for almost 2 years and its a pretty good value. The accuracy is so-so with my best groups about 1.5 moa with M118LR. My handloads are about the same but not as consistent. The trigger is good and the gun handles well overall but is a bit heavy (so are all the other HM guns). The comp could be better and I plan to switch it out soon. The only problems I have had.

1, A blown primer got under the trigger on a long range stage. Not the guns fault.

2, Broke an extractor on another long range stage. Both of these were at bigger matches and cost my results dearly.

1.5 MOA with M118LR would be pretty decent in my book.

Have you tried any high-end civilian stuff, like FGMM?

Edited by gose

Had no idea the 308 3G1 was already available. And it's been out for 2 years? I wonder why I haven't seen any reviews or youtube vids. What's the trigger pull and travel? Is it a Miculek comp? Do you mind posting a pic or two? Thanks.

Is it a prototype? On the DPMS website it says new for 2012 and the .308 3G1 is listed under the competition rifles tab.

In 2010 DPMS made 10-12 (i heard) of these for prize tables. This one came from Ironman. I was told they were going to put these into production back then. Looks like it took them a while to get too it.

The trigger in mine is a JP, so its a good trigger. The comp is a Miculek, like I said, it works. I just think there are better to be had.

To save money I handload 150 grain hornady over W846. The best I can get with the 150s is about 2 moa, but its great for hosing :D

Not sure which model I have. It has an 18"barrel, carbon fiber handguard, jp trigger @ 2.5# . It had miculek comp and cheap stock. I added a standard stock and rolling thunder comp. Gun shoots 3/4 moa with federal red box and half moa with handloaded 168 gr sierra match kings. Its been a great gun so far. I am planning to shoot it at fnh and fallen brethren 3gun later this year.

Mike

Not sure which model I have. It has an 18"barrel, carbon fiber handguard, jp trigger @ 2.5# . It had miculek comp and cheap stock. I added a standard stock and rolling thunder comp. Gun shoots 3/4 moa with federal red box and half moa with handloaded 168 gr sierra match kings. Its been a great gun so far. I am planning to shoot it at fnh and fallen brethren 3gun later this year.

Mike

This model sounds interesting, didn't see anything on DPMS's website that fits your rifle. Could you please post a pic?

Here is what it looked like when I got it. Now its beat up and wears a Swaro.

Sweet. You're luck you got one back in 2010, as far as I know they still haven't released it.

Not sure if i have the patience to wait 6-9 months. Anyone thinking about a Colt 901? Interested in what Stag is coming up with and I saw that Colt is coming up with a CR Pro 308 which would be more specific for 3gun.

Mike

I have an LR308L (L=Light weight), sounds like what you describe. 18" barrel, carbon fiber float tube, Miculek brake, JP trigger, skeletonized stock. Did a few mods to it, been my HM rifle for just over a year. Accuracy has been great so far.

• 3 months later...