Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.357 sig VS .38 Super Auto

Got Juice?

.357sig VS .38 Super

For my next silly question, is one caliber better than the other when moving into open division? Pros and cons? I realize brass cost is a significant factor, but I do plan to reform my .40 brass to sig.

I am moving to sig so that I can change calibers on the same gun.

Might be flatter than .40 in Open, but has the same capacity limitations. Brass is more expensive than Supercomp. Reloading necked cartridges is a bitch - trying to get a 9x25 gun to shoot accurately over the long haul proved to be really entertaining - .357 Sig would have all the same issues. I'd say it's a non-starter...

Can't do that, it won't be long enough.

It is not optimal, but people do it. The point about poor accuracy applies, though.

As far as headspacing on the case - not a problem. You can perfectly space .357Sig on its shoulders, and in addition... I have accidentally fired a .357Sig round in a .40 barrel - the extractor holds it well enough.

Still... why go though all this when 38 works just fine?

Edited by Foxbat

Can't do that, it won't be long enough.

It is not optimal, but people do it. The point about poor accuracy applies, though.

As far as headspacing on the case - not a problem. You can perfectly space .357Sig on its shoulders, and in addition... I have accidentally fired a .357Sig round in a .40 barrel - the extractor holds it well enough.

Still... why go though all this when 38 works just fine?

I don't feel like having 2 sets of mags and top ends. Gun stuff is seriously expensive an Canada, (20-30% more $$$) and all our mags here are restricted to 10 rounds anyway.

A Tanfoglio Mag complete up here is close to 150.00 EA!

Hence the caliber conversion for the open gun.

i built a goclk in 357 sig with an sjc comp shot fine blast was terrible though really felt it in my face

did a 9mm set up the same way not as bad but the 9mm shoots alittle flatter

but if your limeted to just 10rnd mags go for it when capacitys not a issue it should work fine

I ran a Para Open gun for a while in 357 SIG. It ran fine with both Speer (from police range) Nickel 357 Sig and reformed 40 brass. Load was almost identical to my 38 Super load. I mean, it worked. I finally got the $$ and the parts and had the gun rebuilt in 38SC. I still have the slide and barrel I think, not much use as trades or anything.

We had 2 shooters that were doing this in the 90’s prior to the 9x25mm craze and the introduction of factory .357Sig. if I member correctly some of the issues they had were:

• Head spacing was erratic. In theory the chambers were cut to use the neck for head spacing. In use the shorter case mouth from necking down mixed .40 bras caused issues for them.

• Magazine capacity was a handicap in open against the .38 Supers

IF the magazine capacity isn’t a handicap I don’t see any advantage over a .40 open loaded with 135gr bullets. The 135gr bullets will cost a little more than 125gr 9mm but you will save:

• The time forming brass

• The time sorting brass by head stamp

• .2-.5gr in powder

Out.

2011BLDR

Do a search for "40 open." I started the thread, and there's a lot of good info there.

Awesome reading!

Well, I forgot to add it's kinda too late :goof: I have 11,000 125gr jacketed 9mm that just arrived, and 1500 357 sig brass (real stuff)

Now all i need is my completed gun to arrive, and a set of Dillon sig dies to complete the package. I am STOKED!

11K should get me through the year I hope :roflol:

Edited by Got Juice?