Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI New style mags!

Rolex

On 7/14/2017 at 5:28 PM, pbcaster45 said:

Anybody know where to get the new style STI 2011 magazine follower?  I just got a new style 140mm 40 S&W magazine and the old style follower goes right out the top!

I got 2 of the new style 140 9mm complete mags and the stock followers that came with the mags were sticking up pretty far but not actually comin out. I didn't even load them I just bought grams guts and ground off the lock tab. Been running perfectly so far.

• 1 month later...

I tried a Grams Follower and Spring in my new style 40 S&W 140mm magazine with a Dawson +1 Basepad.  The Grams Follower solved the problem with the old style follower extending out of the magazine on the last round.  But a new problem was exposed - when the magazine got down to the last five rounds it would start causing premature slide locks on almost every round.  The rounds are sliding forward during recoil and hitting the nose on the slide release.  I've got the magazine lips adjusted .381 in the rear, tapering out to .385 in the front.  I think I may need to adjust the feed lips on the new magazine for a straight .380 all the way.  Either that or get an old style magazine body and call it quits...

All my old style magazines are 100%.

IMG_0505.JPG

I've heard a few stories about the new 40SW mags having issues like mentioned above. The interior dimensions appear to be wider than the old bodies. This causes the rounds to spread wider and then the spring is not transferring all of the pressure to the top rounds. The pressure is getting wasted pushing rounds sideways. You may be able to squeeze the mag in a vice (without going too far and then having a mag that is too long front-to-back. Otherwise, my TTI springs haven't had any problems in my new style mag. I'd love to hear more if you resolve your problem with the new mag.

I just opened 3 new ones I got in the mail and was curious so I took them apart. They are all 140s but 2 are 40 S&W and 1 is 9mm. I take the springs out and the followers aren't clicked on to the followers and I can't get them on. Anyone else have these issues and know hot to fix this

Well I adjusted the feed lips for .380 at the rear and .381 at the front and while that did reduce the premature slide locks - it didn't eliminate them.  I'm getting a Gen 1 magazine body and putting the Gen 2 in the parts bin.  Clearing malfunctions all the time gets old quick...

I've got an Edge in .38 Super coming - if it comes with Gen 2 magazines I hope they work!

Edited by pbcaster45

47 minutes ago, pbcaster45 said:

Well I adjusted the feed lips for .380 at the rear and .381 at the front and while that did reduce the premature slide locks - it didn't eliminate them.  I'm getting a Gen 1 magazine body and putting the Gen 2 in the parts bin.  Clearing malfunctions all the time gets old quick...

I've got an Edge in .38 Super coming - if it comes with Gen 2 magazines I hope they work!

usually what happens is the bullet hits the slide stop activating it early. you can tune the slide stop by taking off some of the bump so it only activates with the follower