Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grandpoobah's Older 1050 Priming Mod

Anyone using a Super or RL 1050 with the original primer slide assembly with the roll pin and 1/4" piece of auto vacuum hose knows what a horrible solution this is - the rubber gets chewed up and the primer system goes to hell.

Dillon, in their infinite wisdom finally addressed the issue by replacing the almost $90 primer slide assembly with a new one drilled and tapped for a roller screw and a bronze 1/4" captive sleeve to act as a rolling bearing for the primer actuator arm.

I, however, being omnipotent, realized that all I had to do to AVOID giving them almost $90 for a updated primer slide assembly was to punch out the roller pin in the original slide assembly and then - drum roll - take an official hardened Dillon de-capping pin (10 for $5.75) and insert one into the hole the roll pin vacated and place the slide assembly back in the press.

The sides of the primer channel keep it captive.

Presto /Chango you now have a better item then they now provide - the de-capping pin is EXACTLY the right size and the entire pin is hardened - unlike the bronze bushing sleeve that wears out. 

Happy trials to all.

Walter

(Grandpoobah)

Edited by Grandpoobah

Very clever. My only concern would be the case-hardened de-cap pin wearing a channel in your press. My press came with the newer setup you describe and I just assumed brass was used as it is a softer metal and would not damage the press over time. I don't know this to be fact but it will be fun to hear from the engineers and more technically savvy. No offense as you might be one of these guys  :cheers:

Hi Army Dad:

I am a Mechanical Engineer - NYU - Class of 61 (back then they had a Engineering Collage at the Height's Campus).

There is no wear potential - the roller is smooth as can be - as if it were designed for this very application - it is amazing that a part can fall into another application and be perfect in every way for the second application.

In my humble opinion it is superior to the bronze sleeve which will wear against the steel actuating arms.

I wouldn't change your unit unless the bronze sleeve wears out but keep an eye on it - both are better than that damn piece of rubbe vacuum hose.

While you're at it go on Amazon and buy a piece of polycarbonate 2 1/2" o.d. clear rigid tubing 2 1/4" i.d. and cut it to 11 inches - remove power measure 8" or so tube and clean out the circumference and then lightly glue the 11" unit it.

You now have the "Unique Tek" 11" 1050 powder tube for the Dillon powder measure.

Have a great day - good luck in the Republic of California.

Grandpoobah

Great idea, Grandpoobah. I bought a couple of feet of vac hose years ago and from time to time trimming off a little. Your idea is beautiful and simple. Thank you.

As a mechanical engineer I'd think you will like my hillbilly solution for the 1050 powder tube fix. I mounted the case feeder forward (closer to the operator) about 2 inches. Using the front mounting holes that support the catch bin. I angled the steel holder clip for the case drop tube with needle nose pliers and slightly trimmed the tube to match. Cases drop fine, and this provides clearance for installing the 14" "Unique Tek" extended powder tube - or longer. As I bought quick conversion tool heads with powder measures I'd double some tubes together with super glue to make longer tubes. Sure makes loading rifle cases faster. 

We'll done and thank you sir. My issue at present is will CA outlaw all things firearm related before I have a chance to wear out my brass roller. Retirement can't come soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hummm... How history repeats itself...

Back when I got my new 1050, I spent a few hours fussing with my original primer slide with rubber hose...then it hit me.

I took the hose off, and have been running on the roll pin ever since. Not worn or anything, removing the hose did the trick. you don't need to replace the roll pin, it works just fine.

Oh yea, i removed the hose 10 years ago, roll pin is still good.

And I am not an engineer, nore did I stay in a holiday inn last nite...

jj 

Edited by RiggerJJ

• 3 weeks later...

Hi:

I gave the wrong part number - the Dillon seating die set stem - p/n 141434 - at $3.79 is the correct item  not the decapping pin.

The seating die set stem is a perfect replacement for the roll/pin vacuum hose "bearing" as noted previously.

Gradndpoobah