Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety area not marked with sign

Sandbagger123

what do the rules say about signage? If the safe area isn't marked according to the rules, how can you enforce other rules there?

"They should be conveniently placed and easily identified with signs."

I personally probably wouldn't dq someone for handling ammo in an unmarked safe area. OTOH, if you ask if a particular area is a safe area, so you can go and unbag your gun, (so now you *know* it's a safe area), and you do something dumb, is that different?

1 hour ago, Sandbagger123 said:

Safety area is deliniated, but there is no " safety area" sign.   people that have been there before where and what it is, but if a new shooter did something DQ able in it, would the DQ hold as its not marked?

From the glossary :

"Should ........Optional but highly recommended."

2.4 Safety Areas
The host organization is responsible for the construction and placement of a sufficient number of Safety Areas for the match. They should be conveniently placed and easily identified with signs. At level II or higher matches, Safety Areas must include a table with the safe direction and boundaries clearly shown.

I guess this is why I must remove myself from the list of "100% follow the rules" crowd. If a safety area is not marked with a sign I don't consider it a safety area and could not in good faith DQ somebody for violating a safety area rule there.

13 hours ago, Sarge said:

I guess this is why I must remove myself from the list of "100% follow the rules" crowd. If a safety area is not marked with a sign I don't consider it a safety area and could not in good faith DQ somebody for violating a safety area rule there.

If you don't consider it to be a safety area, then what about people handling their guns there?

I think they should be clearly marked and a competitor knows or should know not to be handling ammo where people are handling guns, unless under the command of a range officer or on a test bay.

The MD and RM should make sure they are clearly marked, a target and a sharpie can solve it.

At the beginning of the match the MD or RM needs to make it clear where the safe area is, and what can and can't be handled there, every match at our club it is made abundantly clear where the safe area is and not to handle ammo in there and not to gun up in the parking lot.