Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which shot to practice first?

Broncman

Just getting started in USPSA in Carry Optics. I have a good personal range I can setup any way I want. What should be my focus  first?

Practice first shot from draw? Focus on target, bring gun and sights to target focus.

I see in videos, almost all cardboard shots are double taps. Practice those and control of second shot?

If I were just starting in CO, I would do the following:

Dry fire practice draws until the dot was centered in the optic and on target, every time.  Then dry fire practice picking up the dot in odd positions (hard leans, crouching, shooting downward, through ports, etc.) until the dot was centered in the optic and on target, every time.

Only then would I start live firing to learn to track the dot.  If you have plenty of ammo, firing 5-6 shots into a berm as quickly as possible can really help you learn to track the dot movement during recoil.

Thanks guys. I have been dry firing from draw with dot on since I got the dot a month ago. I reload and ammo is not an issue either. Since December I have about 2000 Rds down the tube. Trying every scenario at the range I can think of. Wanting to get a set regiment down so my training is effective.

I have also been doing rapid fire on fresh targets every session and experimenting with grip. I have settled on a grip and trying to achieve muscle memory now

I can tell the days when I have not practiced! Really trying to discipline my self to see the dot on target before next shot.

I know what practicing gun mount and "dry fire" did for my Clays game. Sure pistol is no different!

Also, what is the max range I need to be training for? 25 or all the way out to 50?

Bronc - First off, I like the name but is that a rodeo or football reference?  Second, get a book or books by Ben Stoeger (dry fire) or Steve Anderson (Get to Work) for dry fire training. You can roll some of those drills over into live fire but the times will not hold the same. I'm starting into Stoeger's Skills & Drills book for live fire.

We typically see very few targets beyond 20 in USPSA (from what I know) but some folks will train out to 50 yards from time to time. I'd focus on 5-15 yards for now but don't neglect some small percentage of work at 25 & 50.

Edited by SCTaylor

Actually it is referring to 66-77 early model Ford Bronco's. Been restoring and into Broncos for years. Kinda out of the high dollar restoration s now as they were so time consuming. Still active in the off-road scene but not racing or building anymore.

I will look into those books!

Thanks.