Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 31 (357 Sig) in Limited?

davsco

Heard back from UltraTech, they don't sell loaded ammo to the US of A. Bogus! Hopefully I can score some of those weird 158's from Westcastings. That should be the ticket for a small frame Glock.

Don't know of any 180gr 9mm, but no not really because the .357SIG is pretty much restricted to 125s and 140s of a certain shape because of the short neck and constrained by the OAL.  Not all 125's work either. On the left, 125JHP Montana Gold 9mm bullet, works great and OAL is standard at 1.140"  On the right, 125 Bayou, seated to 1.155"  Tried them out to 1.175" to pickup the full bullet diameter, ahead of the taper, and while it would chamber, it wouldn't feed in the magazine. For a Glock mag, 1.155" is max to feed. So you can see the Bayous are not the right shape for the .357SIG. Standard 125 gr 9mms don't work at all because of the shape. There is only .150" of neck length to press.

image37446.jpg

image37447.jpg

Tell that to probably 80% of Australia's IPSC Standard Division shooters. We aren't allowed to shoot .40 anymore but can shoot .357Sig. No one I know shoots lighter than a 150 and most shoot 170-180's.

For the same PF (180) I need to run a 18lb Spring in my TS shooting Sig vs a 16lb shooting .40

The .40 is more of a push too whereas you need to muscle the Sig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt, I was talking a Glock 31 (small frame, maximum OAL  for the magazine is 1.160"), but why can't you guys shoot 40S&W? That's not a military caliber. I thought IPSC major floor was 170?

Edited by 9x45

Matt, I've got a buddy who reps Extreme, I'll get a sample of the  158s from him. 

UltraTech says they use 40 S&W brass for their ammo. Ends up about .020" shorter in a 357SIG, but still doesn't have the pressure rating because the SIG cas has thicker walls.

Got some Blue Bullets RN 147s. They actually weigh in at 151 grains, so I loaded a dozen up on top of 6.7 grains of BE-86 at 1.145" They chamber check fine. They only need to go 1,100 fps for major. Will chrono next weekend. 

124 Bayou on the left at 1.155"

image37453.jpg

Matt, I was talking a Glock 31 (small frame, maximum OAL  for the magazine is 1.160"), but why can't you guys shoot 40S&W? That's not a military caliber. I thought IPSC major floor was 170?

Most shooters use the 2011 platform but not all. I run a CZ TS which has the same OAL limitations as the Glock.

We are only allowed to shoot up to .38 calibre except for Cowboy Action and Metallic Silhouette. 357 Sig was given dispensation to make Major in IPSC largely for us Aussies.

Matt, I've got a buddy who reps Extreme, I'll get a sample of the  158s from him. 

UltraTech says they use 40 S&W brass for their ammo. Ends up about .020" shorter in a 357SIG, but still doesn't have the pressure rating because the SIG cas has thicker walls.

I've never heard that about Sig brass having thicker walls. Many of us (probably most of us) use .40 because it's cheap. Loading to 180PF+ many times without a problem. We loose it before it wears out.

Matt, hook me up with WestCastings. They don't seem, to like, you know, speak SoCal.....Bogus

They've probably never been asked about export before. How much are you after and I'll ask them for a price.