Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Basepads on rifle mags?

For 3GN Factory, the answer appears to be no if it is longer than OEM, regardless of the same capacity:

7.3.2.3 All Rifle magazines must be of a thirty (30) round factory configuration and must not exceed the original factory produced length. There is no maximum capacity, as long as it is a factory 30 round magazine. Use of lower capacity magazines is allowed. The use of factory or aftermarket extended base pads, whether they increase capacity or not, are forbidden. The downloading of magazines with a capacity greater than (30) rounds and/or 50/60 round drum type magazines is not allowed. However, the use of magazine couplers that replace the floor plates but do not add length and traditional magazine body style couplers are allowed.

I had to pull all of the Magpul ranger plates off of my 30s to compete in Factory. I keep one on the 20 that lives in my mag pouch.

I would think slipping an original MagPul on the bottom of the mag would be OK... just a slip on piece, so arguably not part of the magazine. I do this with all my mags, with the MagPul turned sideways and all the way on, as it makes a great non-slip base for monopodding. Let me know if you need a photo.

I remember a discussion on bookface about this issue, and Rob Romero stated that the spirit of the rule was that it was immediately obvious that the capacity hadn't been increased over that of a factory mag.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This was the point of a little contention at a match this year when we had shooters pulling up the rules on their phone saying a new guy needed to be bumped to Unlimited because he had replaced to the factory floor plates with aftermarket one that were brightly colored.  They did not increase round count but they were not original.  He decided that scopes made three gun better and switched to practical for future matches.  As it reads shooters should be using factory mags.  Because it is a round count limit as well.  I can fit 31 in a factory magpul mag, that would not be allowed in Factory correct?  Shot guns can have any length tube so long as the capacity is only 8 shells.  If I was going to run factory I would use the longer tube but put a smaller diameter plug in the gun so the spring is not as compressed allowing for easier loading you will have to submit to a few extra RO's checking the capacity.

the rule quoted above references "extended" aftermarket basepads as not being allowed,  does not seem to exclude basepads which are not "extended".

I know my Springer Precision mag coupler has been allowed at a couple matches.

Eric

The no basepad rule was to keep it easy for ROs to visually inspect without asking competitors to unload the magazine. I hate the idea of asking ROs to audit shooters on the line  that's why the 9 shot start limit cannot be checked at the line anymore. 

The rule is 30rd factory length and there is no capacity as long as it's original length. At best it could be a +1 round advantage depending on the magazine make. 

The concession was for couplers that replaced the floor plates. Since those are easily discernible we allowed them. 

A plugged shotgun and downloading pistol mags was another concession to allow for a simple division crossover but the line was drawn at rifle mags because there would be no way to really keep track after the start. 

I hope this sheds some light on the rationale and logic behind it. 

Edited by mr50mag

On ‎2016‎/‎09‎/‎20 at 3:09 PM, eric4069 said:

Springer Precision FASTMAG .223 Gen 3 Pmag Coupler

(this is the version that does not extend capacity, they have another version which does extend capacity which would not be allowed)

These SP basepads are okay with 3GN rules. I used the same set up in factory at 3GN nationals last year.  In fact they are a tad shorter than leaving the original floor plate on them