Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

REDDING DUAL RING CARBIDE DECAPPER/SIZER DIE

Eliboudreaux

You can't size the entire case because there has to be a radius on the bottom of the carbide insert, and that can only go down so far without hitting the shellplate. That's going to be the case with any brand die. If you shoot a Glock or something with a similarly throated barrel, it makes sense to invest in a Case Pro. I use a Case Pro and my .40 brass drops into a case gauge without even running it through the size die (not shooting a Glock, though, all 1911/SV). I have no coke bottle effect and no sharp edges on the case with the Redding dual ring. The case wall appears straight, like a factory round. The dual ring takes the standard decap pin, and if you need to replace it, that takes about 30 seconds. The dual ring offers less resistance than a u-die, so it's easier to operate the press. It is a noticeable difference on the 1050.

the nob on top is for the decaping pin. Nothing else can be adjusted i dont believe. I have not had to replace the pin yet so I am unsure but I assume its a redding part.

I bent my decapping pin in my Dual Ring Carbide Sizing Die a few weeks ago. When I bought the die set I went ahead and bought a 10 pack of replacement decapping pins. They are standing Redding decapping pins.

Just changed calibers on my Dillon 650 from 45acp to 357m and it hit me how much easier 357 cycled through the press (both Dillon sizers). Anyone use the .45acp 2-ring Redding die on a 650 and notice the difference in effort to cycle the press compared to a Dillon sizing die?

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd report back as I had to buy one and find out....

Cycling the press seems smooth, I'm not sure if or how much more smooth as I now load 45 on my 1050.

It doesn't look pretty though: It looks like the 2nd ring is located at the bottom of 230gr seating depth, my loaded 185 and 200's have a clear "wasp waist".

It's not likely I'm replacing my other (Dillon) sizing dies. I'm a Redding fan but this one seems like a solution looking for a problem.

• 1 month later...

I just installed one on my 650 and reloaded 40cal. The difference in resistance, compared to EGW U-Die, is day and night. Especially when I pulled the case from the funnel, there was no more 'suction' from the funnel. Much easier on the arm!!

The Coke Bottle shape is GONE. There is a slight GLOCK bump remaining at the bottom but my ammo looks pretty much like factory ammo. 100% Yield. I am very satisfied with it.

At some point, I would compare it with the Dillon factory die. If the Redding DR Die is superior, I would get one for 9mm and 45ACP as well.

Edited by jaep1911

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2016 at 3:31 PM, jaep1911 said:

I just installed one on my 650 and reloaded 40cal. The difference in resistance, compared to EGW U-Die, is day and night. Especially when I pulled the case from the funnel, there was no more 'suction' from the funnel. Much easier on the arm!!

The Coke Bottle shape is GONE. There is a slight GLOCK bump remaining at the bottom but my ammo looks pretty much like factory ammo. 100% Yield. I am very satisfied with it.

At some point, I would compare it with the Dillon factory die. If the Redding DR Die is superior, I would get one for 9mm and 45ACP as well.

I don't think Redding makes the DR dies for tapered cases (like 9mm).  Also seems like the 40 won't work with the 10mm?

38 Special                    95183
357 Magnum               95182
40 Smith & Wesson    95272
44 Special                   95187
44 Magnum                95186
45 ACP                       95189
45 Colt                        95191