Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SPS Pantera! 9mm Budget conscious 2011 clone

P.E. Kelley

Just picked up the S.P.S. Pantera in 40 used with 4 S.P.S. 16 round mags and a Blade tech DOH holster on trade. I'm debating if it's worth putting the money into it, and make it my USPSA limited setup.  Traded with a shooting buddy who bought this new 9 months ago (fired shell sleeve says 05-05-15)  He put maybe 400 rounds through it before deciding to do USPSA production class instead.  Ran 100 rounds of Winchester white box the night I picked up, only issue was FO came out (was not properly replaced by him) shot 10 rounds at 7,10,15,20, and 25 yards.  Gun locks up tight, really tight.  Barrel fit is excellent, no movement when I push down on the chamber while locked up, very little movement when I move the barrel back and forth while slide locked to rear.  I gotta say I'm impressed with the overall slide to frame finish.  The grip safety and ambi thumb safeties appear to be MIM not sure, maybe some one can confirm.  Trigger has a little play nothing crazy.  I'm into this gun for about $500. If I upgrade the gun I plan to purchase 6 MBX mags and keep the setup for a while.  My personal feelings are just spend the $650 and make it a sweet running gun for under $2k.

Looking at changing out the following:

1. EGW ultimate trigger kit $135
  2. PT evo $600 or just stipple this one $0
  3. Titanium hammer strut $13
  4. McLearn M2i firing pin $15
  5. EGW oversized firing pin stop $15
  6. Aftec advanced extractor $85
  7. BCG ejector $40
  8. Dawson tool-less guide rod $70
  9. 10 and 12# springs $20
  10. PT thumb rest slide stop $120
  11. BCG bigmouth mag well $65
  12. Dawson front FO .040 $39
  13. Caspian pin set $26

TOTAL: $650-1250 depending on grip choice.

IMG_0479.JPG

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Nick179 said:

Have you done any internal work to it?  What's your opinion on this gun?

Nope, internally it's completely stock. I put between 4k and 5k rounds through it since getting it this year and it's been 100% reliable. 

4 hours ago, MedicAJ said:

Nope, internally it's completely stock. I put between 4k and 5k rounds through it since getting it this year and it's been 100% reliable. 

Did you do the grip yourself?  I'm a virgin to 2011's. 

4 hours ago, mro111lland said:

I have the same gun only it's the sps Vista short open gun I have up graded mine with a tool less guide rod STI grips different trigger and she extractor after I put 15000 rounds through it for the money u can't go wrong

I've seen a few at local matches I always mistake them for limcats, they look similar to me at a glance.  I think the Vista would be my choice for open if I ever venture there. 

I've been thinking long and hard about 6 hours lol. I'm gonna get a STI grip, double undercut, and stipple it myself, BCG big mouth mag well, add a Brazos mag release button, and put a 0.040" FO front sight.  I'm gonna keep factory mags for practice and dry fire and get some new MBX's with Springer Precision Traction pads. 

On 3-10-2016 at 6:45 PM, mro111lland said:

Mags take standard 2011 sti stuff if it fits an sti mag it will fit sps mag. Would save the money and get sti mags had 4 sps all 4 never ran 100% seems like metal is to soft in them 

I have 3 SPS mags two in .40 and one Bigstick in 9/38 and they all run 100% ( bigstick holds 29 rounds in 9 ) .

On 12/21/2016 at 9:25 PM, mro111lland said:

First one I stippled myself cracked around mag catch and top mount bolt don't know if got it to hot or what bought second one already stippled just FYI 

Did you stipple the SPS grip or a STI grip that cracked?

21 hours ago, Aleric said:

Don't want to hijack this thread but where can these SPS Panteras be found?

Go to metro arms website and search their retailer section.  Buy local if you can, otherwise gun shops may not be around much longer with internet sites undercutting brick and mortars 

I've been able to put about 300 rounds through my recently acquired .40 Pantera over the last couple of days. It has been 100% and the accuracy is simply amazing!  Almost unbelievable accuracy actually. I'm very impressed so far. I have opted to make a few changes that should be installed by my gunsmith next week. 

Hardened fire control kit (hammer, sear, disconnector) 

DVC grip and Dawson Ice Magwell

Dawson tooless guide rod w/Wolff recoil springs

MBX magazines 

• 6 months later...

Just put a 9mm Pantera on backorder at Stage Zero. it is going to be my 3-gun pistol. 

Donnie said there is a shipment in customs but SPS redesigned the grip to be more like the stock STI grip and accept aftermarket magwells so the gun has to be re-evaluated for import by the ATF. He said he is in the 4th month of waiting so hopefully it will not be to long.