Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two Clicks in Grand Power Single Action Pull

Hi folks,

This is my first post. I read may of your posts on the Grand Power line of pistols and I finally picked one up. Thanks for providing so much good information!

My question is related to the single action trigger pull. My new Grand Power K100 has two clicks in the single action pull if the hammer is cocked by the thumb or slide. The first click happens right at the beginning of the pull. The second click is the sear releasing the hammer. Note that if you hold the trigger to the rear when cycling the action you will not get this first click.

I'm having trouble cutting and pasting a URL, but if you Google "Grand Power Excalibur Trigger Issues?" you'll find a YouTube video that shows exactly what I am trying to describe.

The first click is very annoying. Below is what I think is going on. Note that in the Grand Power, the trigger bar is also the disconnector (I'll call it the trigger bar/disconnector below).

When the hammer is cocked, a tab on the hammer presses on the trigger bar/disconnector to push it forward. After the gun is cocked, there appears to be enough pressure from the trigger return spring to hold the trigger bar/disconnector against this tab on the hammer and not allow the trigger bar/disconnecor to snap up. This first click in the single action trigger pull appears to be the trigger bar/disconnector snapping up because it is "released" from this tab on the hammer.

I have two questions.

1) Does everyone's Grand Power have two clicks in single action if the trigger is not held to the rear when cycling the gun?

2) Is there a way to polish the tab on the hammer that pushes the trigger bar forward or the rear of the trigger bar so that the trigger bar/disconnector snaps up without requiring a slight pull on the trigger? Or, is there a way to rebalance the trigger return spring and hammer spring to get the same affect?

Thanks!

Edited by Control

Thanks Kingman! Its good to see that not all Grand Power pistols do this.

I'm pretty sure this "two clicks on single action trigger pull" can also occur on the Excalibur. The "Grand Power Excalibur Trigger Issues?" YouTube video shows the exact same issue on an Excalibur. In the video you can see the trigger bar disconnector tabs snap up on the first single action trigger pull click on the Excalibur in the video. That is exactly what my K100 does.

I spend a little time lightly polishing the rear of the trigger bar and the tab on the hammer that presses it but that did no good. I did learn how to take down the firearm completely very quickly as a reward for my efforts. I'll note that the internal machining on these things is very nice.

I got a definitive answer to this question from Canuck223. Thanks Canuck223! It turns out that the click on the first pull of the single action is considered normal by Grand Power. The tab on the hammer must release the trigger bar / disconnector so that it can snap up. If you have a Grand Power that doesn't do this, consider yourself lucky as it must have a magic combination of trigger return spring pressure and trigger bar/hammer tab contact angles. He did state that no amount of polishing will fix the issue so don't bother with it.

I don't find a loud click at the start of my single angle pull acceptable so I'll be returning this gun to Eagle Imports. Unfortunately, I was not able to try a Grand Power before purchasing it (there are none available to try in my local gun stores) but ***I highly recommend you consider this early click in the single action trigger pull before purchasing the gun.*** Some find it not to be an issue. Others like me (and others from reading various forum posts) find it unacceptable.

I'll note that if Grand Power is able to get rid of this first single action click in a product upgrade I'll pick up another one. I liked just about everything else about the gun. Except perhaps re-assembling which remains tough for me. The red recoil spring on the k100 is quite stiff and its a bit of a fight to get it back together.

Thanks again for the comments and help!

JRM83,

I have two issues with the first click is single action on the Grand Power.

Firstly, my expectation from other firearms like the CZ and 1911 is that the single action trigger pull is smooth and free from clicks or other motions until the sear breaks from the hammer. The Grand Power single action trigger pull does have this audible and tactile click and I find it distracting. I should note that even on the range with my ear protection on I could feel the click on the single action trigger pull.

Secondly, I like guns that behave the same from the first shot to the last shot. With the Grand Power, the first single action shot will have this early click but follow up single action shots will not. This inconstancy from one shot to the next is perhaps my biggest concern.

I do notice the click during live slow fire. Probably because I'm looking for it. :). During speed drills I never feel it.

I think this click is simply something that bugs you or does not. I'll agree 100% that is does not affect pull or sight alignment.

I'd still like to know why some grand powers do this and others do not. I'll bet some difference in trigger return spring pressure and hammer/trigger bar angles makes a difference.

The Excalibur does appear to have a different sear but the engagement of the hammer and trigger bar when cocking appears identical to my k100. In fact, the "Grand Power Excalibur Trigger Issues?" Youtube video shows an Excalibur with the exact same click mine has.

Dunno what to tell you. Have two of them.

It's not an issue. It's not a repair. It's part of the way the system works. Had a long talk about this with GP techs after researching. I've never noticed clicks. But. I pull through fast to the break point.

That's my video. Apparently, this is how the trigger is designed.

I only have a sample of one but not everyone seems to be experiencing this with their pistols.

Ive learned to live with it. Its annoying but i cannot feel it at all during actual match speed.

It's the back of the trigger bow resetting on top of the sear. Once you are familiar with the internals, you get it. It's nothing. This trigger is very, very different from anything else. If you remove the spacer from the hammer spring, to reduce trigger pull, it's even more obvious. Nothing to worry about. Mine does that and I just hose away.

Only rare issues with his gun is double feeds if I let the space between the feed lips get too far from .355.

My xcal clicks too. Its a new thing, and everyone that picks it up notices it right off the bat. But it hasn't bothered anyone that shoots it and their groupings reflect that. My buddies all comment on how easy and effortless it is to shoot.

If it bugs you now then it'll probably bug you later.

Have yet to experience the double feeds.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk