Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSS mag well + TTi base pad - are these IDPA ESP legal?

MilkMyDuds

New to modding MP9s.

I am looking at the SSS mag well (aluminum version) - http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1071, and wonder if it works well with the TTi small base pad - http://tarantacticalinnovations.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=58_59&products_id=286. If anyone is running this combo, please confirm. Also, the SSS mag well is said to be IDPA ESP legal. Does anyone know if it's also true for the TTi base pad?

Thanks for helping out.

Thanks for the info, guys.

I'd love to get the SSS base pad for ESP, but they have been OOS for quite some time. That's why I am thinking to get the TTi base pads.

TF also sells the SSS pads http://taylorfreelance.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=47 and it looks like they have them in stock. (I'd give them a call to make sure).

Thanks for the info, guys.

I'd love to get the SSS base pad for ESP, but they have been OOS for quite some time. That's why I am thinking to get the TTi base pads.

TF also sells the SSS pads http://taylorfreelance.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=47 and it looks like they have them in stock. (I'd give them a call to make sure).

Looks really cool and cost effective! Ordered 6 of these. Thanks!

I just picked up a SSS ESP magwell and have been looking for base pads for IDPA. I too was considering the TTI base pads but after looking at Springer Precision I think I will order 6 of those for the price of 3 TTI. Thanks for posting the link the Springer Precision link!

I received 6 SP base pads. They look really nice. The fit is a bit tight. I have to push really hard to slide them to the mags.

Unfortunately, seating the magazines has become much more difficult, due to the fact that the base pads are flush or even a bit caved in with the magwell opening when fully seated. This is with my SSS ESP magwell. Basically I have to consciously find some ways to push the magazines into the well really hard to seat them properly, vs. previously I simply let me palm hit the magwell opening.

I ordered an TTI and SSS base pad to compare. Will post here when I get them.

I received 6 SP base pads. They look really nice. The fit is a bit tight. I have to push really hard to slide them to the mags.

Unfortunately, seating the magazines has become much more difficult, due to the fact that the base pads are flush or even a bit caved in with the magwell opening when fully seated. This is with my SSS ESP magwell. Basically I have to consciously find some ways to push the magazines into the well really hard to seat them properly, vs. previously I simply let me palm hit the magwell opening.

Let me know about pin clearance. I know the SSS magwell needs some work when using our large size base pads.

Let me know about pin clearance. I know the SSS magwell needs some work when using our large size base pads.

I have no problem with pin clearance on either the SSS ESP or Limited magwell. No modifications needed. :)

I have no problem with pin clearance on either the SSS ESP or Limited magwell. No modifications needed. :)

Awesome! We've had mixed reviews. Some do, some don't.

Sorry to hear that MilkMyDuds, my Springer Precision base pads stick out about 2-3mm beyond the bottom side edge of my steel ESP magwell so they are easy to seat with a palm slap.

It is a pity because the pads look really high quality and nice.

Mine stick out 2mm or so too, when the mags have been fully seated. However, to seat a mag full of bullets, you have to push it beyond the fully seated position until it clicks. If you carefully look at the position when the click happens, the pad is caved inside the magwell at that point. I think that's where the real trouble is.

Sorry to hear that MilkMyDuds, my Springer Precision base pads stick out about 2-3mm beyond the bottom side edge of my steel ESP magwell so they are easy to seat with a palm slap.

It is a pity because the pads look really high quality and nice.

Mine stick out 2mm or so too, when the mags have been fully seated. However, to seat a mag full of bullets, you have to push it beyond the fully seated position until it clicks. If you carefully look at the position when the click happens, the pad is caved inside the magwell at that point. I think that's where the real trouble is.

I just tested mine again, it locks in with the 2mm or so of clearance. I am however using the LF Arms metal extended mag release so it may be that the factory polymer mag release is flexing on you.

If you have the factory mag release, try switching it to the other side so that new edges are in contact to test if that is what the problem you are experiencing is from.

My TTI's work perfect with the ESP magwell even with the pin sticking up far enough to not be flush on the mag bottom.

MilkMyDuds, did you select the base pads to be used with magwell when you ordered?

No idea. I ordered these:

http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=245&categoryId=25

There is an option to select *for use with a magwell. If you did not select yes that very well could be your issue. You should be able to look back on your emailed order confirmation to confirm which you ordered.

Looks like I did order them for use with magwell.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Qty | Item # | Description
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 | SPMPEZ25BP-BL | Springer Precision M&P 9/40 EZ +.25" base |
| pads
Color: Blue
Numbering (per unit): 1 +$1.00
M&P retaining plate style: Square new
style retainer
For use with a magwell: Yes

The one with pictures are the "short" version. The non-short version only has pictures of the base pads themselves.

I did not say these base pads don't work. They work, just not as smooth and easy as I expected. I guess I could train my muscle to do the extra hard palm slap/push with certain part of my palm (where my bones stick out more, like the finger joint base area) to seat the mags, which shouldn't be necessary at all if the base pads stick out just a little bit more instead of staying pretty much flush to the mag well.