Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shot my first uspsa match

Jps42

I think he was running reloads. Guess i well just see what gun I can get a better deal on.

i'm biased because i can't shoot a stock glock trigger worth a crap. in fact, none of my shooting buddies can either, but apparently there are those who can, or it wouldn't have such a following.

you can't go wrong with either one.

Welcome to the world of USPSA. I shot my first match 3 years ago and was hooked. If you can afford it you might want to consider a 1911 style gun like an STI. When I started I kept looking at price but now after many trials I'm an STI guy. I can afford it so the extra cost doesen't affect my lifestyle. My advise would be take your time on the courses and the speed will come with time. Watch what the good shooters are doing on the stages to see how to attack it. Have fun.

In a long run, gun is a small investment comparing the cost of ammo.

I will suggest get a widely used affordable competition gun you like. And you will not regret or putting more $ to upgrade parts. And a good competition gun has a good resale value!

Okay thanks I well do that next match. Also I Plan on buying a glock 17 to compete with, I was thinking of ordering it from glockmeisters, what would y'all suggest upgrading? I was thinking the sights, extended mag release and slide lock lever, along with a stainless steel recoil assembly. What are y'all thoughts on this? I well grip tape the frame once I get it.

Save alot of time and effort to stay within the rules by upgrading a G17 and get a G34. it already has an extended factory mag release, and extended slide lock lever, making it legal, plus a fair trigger (3.5#, I think). Just be careful with the places you put the grip tape. Glad to hear you enjoyed your 1st match, and I hope all future matches as just as fun!

+1 on this! Buy it already ready to go that way you don't have to worry about it! Welcome to the addiction and Hope to see you around

The main reason Im leading towards a 17 is because i can later mod it to an open gun if I decide to. And I'm used to the grip angle. Also the 17 is available locally for me.

Mod a 34 to Open too, just as easy. Just gets u what u want now without any mods.

If you are still looking for a pistol, the Springfield pistols are well liked. CZ makes several very affordable pistols. Glock obviously. The M&P has quite a following. Beretta also has competitive offerings. Just mooch off buddies or folks at your matches, I know I would let darn near anyone who asked politely shoot mine.

With myself, I want to own every pistol CZ has ever made. It will pay off triple if you do a little testing and researching before you pay out the cash. I waited until I was sure I knew what I wanted and it makes the cost much easier to swallow just knowing that I wouldn't trade it for anything. Even more so because it is the only one I own, likely for a while also. Make your money go as far as you can.

Welcome to USPSA. I'm still fairly new (My first match was July of last year) and I absolutely love it. Like you, when I started I was at a disadvantage with limited magazines (limited as in quantity, I had four) and there were some close calls in regards to finishing a stage without running out of ammo.

When the shooting season here in PA ended, I found myself with a little extra cash and wanted another production gun. I switched from a Smith & Wesson M&P (which I still own and love) to a Glock 17. I had Warren Tactical sights put on it (black rear, green fiber optic front) and installed a Glock 34 Extended Magazine Release (I had trouble dropping magazines with the factory release). So far, the gun has been great.

Good luck with future matches and whichever gun you decide on.

90% of the problems you see at a match with a gun are ammo related. Most of us reload our own, and sometimes a bad round finds its way into the batch at the worst times. A couple weeks ago I had a bad round cost me what probably would have been an A Class classifier.

See 2:00 in this video. I had a fail to fire from a bad primer on the second to last shot. I still got 4.79 sec but it would have been in the 3's had the round gone off:

Sucks about the primer but great shooting, especially on those stars.I'm kinda looking forward to...and not so much coming up against one. Cool camera also.