Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rl550b .223 setup

Hey guys, I am about to start reloading the massive stockpile of .223 brass I have and wanted some input on how I am planning to do things before I order

Here is what I planned

Vibrate/clean

Toolhead 1.

Slot 1, resize/deprime (recommend a die please!)

Slot 2. Empty

Slot 3 Dillon Trimmer

Slot 4. can I fit a swaging die here? (does one even exist besides on the 1050?)

vibrate to remove case lube

Toolhead 2.

Standard dillon die set (unless I should consider something else)

Thanks for your input!

Edited by jmoney

That's pretty much the approach I take on a 650.

I like the Dillon dies. I have others but use the standard Dillon unless I'm working up a new load on a Lee Turret press.

Don't know about using a swaging die on a 550. They sometimes take a lot of force even on a single stage. I have used one, but don't own one.

In tool head 2. I picked up a tip from the forums here to use a universal decapper in position 1 just to make sure your cleaning media is cleared from the flash hole. You have already sized the brass and don't need lube for the universal. I think I found one (Lee) for around $10 at the time.

If it avoids the separate swaging step I feel like it would be worth it? If the 550 can't take the pressure then I understand.

I can't seem to track down the actual due though.

Thanks for the tip on the universal decapper, it wouldn't make sense to to run a shell through a carbide dillon die twice.

Decapping dies don't have a neck expanding ball on the decapping rod like full length sizing dies do. Since the Dillon trimmer die is a full length sizer without a decapping rod, you will need a way to expand the neck on the 2nd pass.

What I do for .223 on my 550:

Clean cases and Lube

Toolhead 1

S1: Lee Full Length Resize Die

S3: Dillon 1200 Trimmer

Clean lube off and swage with my Super Swage. I don't know of a swager kit for a 550 station, only on the 1050. If you have that much .223 to load, look into a Super Swage.

Toolhead 2

S1: Lee Universal decapper (to clean flash holes)

S2: Powder Die

S3: Seater Die

S4: Crimp Die (if needed)

There isn't a swage die that will work with a progressive press. The 1050 has a swaging station. There is a die that lowers down into the brass to hold it down, while swager comes up from the bottom to swage the primer pocket.

You would have to use a Dillon Super Swage or use a die setup like the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo on a single stage/turret press.

What I do for .223 on my 550:

Clean cases and Lube

Toolhead 1

S1: Lee Full Length Resize Die

S3: Dillon 1200 Trimmer

Clean lube off and swage with my Super Swage. I don't know of a swager kit for a 550 station, only on the 1050. If you have that much .223 to load, look into a Super Swage.

Toolhead 2

S1: Lee Universal decapper (to clean flash holes)

S2: Powder Die

S3: Seater Die

S4: Crimp Die (if needed)

what is the main advantage the lee full size die has over the dillon carbide?

There isn't a swage die that will work with a progressive press. The 1050 has a swaging station. There is a die that lowers down into the brass to hold it down, while swager comes up from the bottom to swage the primer pocket.

You would have to use a Dillon Super Swage or use a die setup like the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo on a single stage/turret press.

thanks, I guess i will mark a spot on my table to put in a super swage!

I would love to get a 1050, however I want to play around with my .223 load for awhile before starting a manufacturing plant in my living room!

Edited by jmoney

wouldn't my first die in the trimmer tool head do that?

I was planning on using the de-capper on the second toolhead just to clear debris from the second vibratory cleaning

The first die in the trimmer tool does do that. But then you're driving it thru the trim die, which is a full length sizer minus a decapping pin. That die squeezes the neck tight again.

Bottom line: you have to expand the neck after putting it thru the trim die.

I was just given about 1500 brass too. First I tumbled them and then sized and deprimed them on my Lee cast press with a Lee FL size die. Then I took the 5 gallon bucket they were in and added some Castrol super clean to enough water to cover the cases. This washed off all the Midway case lube. After draining most of the water from the bucket I laid my big fan over the top of the 5 gallon bucket and the cases were dry in about an hour. Next I will use a Super swager tool C-clamped to a 2 x 4 and have them ready to prime and load on my 550 press.

The trim die is tight in the neck. I checked mine and if I remember right it squeezes the neck down about two thousands smaller than when it comes out of the FL die. I run a neck sizing die after the trimmer. Probably not a have to but I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this to say that I can't set up my 550 with RCBS or Lyman or other dies where the first station sizes, deprimes and primes, the second would be powder the third seating and the fourth crimp? All in one tool head? Thats assuming I do the brass prep separately, ( clean, trim and lube) Is there something I'm missing here? Whats with multiple tool heads and this swaging stuff? Confused here.

Me and buddy today just processed 2500 rounds today of .223

Station 1 dillon resize and de-prime die

Station 2 empty

Station 3 trimmer die

Station 4 empty

Took about 3 hours, did 500 rounds and loaded them Friday night.

The dillon case lube should be removed before loading. Powder will stick to it like glue.

Stupid iPad spelling checker edit

Edited by BullyDog