Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Capacity Limit

I was thinking about limited guns last night and have a hypothetical question. If limited division was changed from a magazine length limited to a capacity limited (15 rounds for example), what platform/cartridge would be the choice? For the sake of this question, 9mm major would be allowed because it wouldn’t create any capacity difference.

(I don’t care about the “this rule shouldn’t change” type of comments. I’m more interested in how everyone thinks removing the variable of magazine capacity would change the “equipment race” related to pistol designs.)

A couple questions:

Would 40 still be the caliber of choice? (What about 9mm major or 45 [heavy bullets?]?)

Would the capacity limits make other platforms more viable/popular (as this would remove the factor of giving up 1-4 rounds of capacity to STI/SVI’s 40’s used by the majority of limited shooters)? (For example: glock, xd, m&p, cz-75(clones), Berettas, caspians, sigs, etc.)

My opinion is that it wouldn’t change much because the doublestack STI&SVI have nice trigger pulls and tons of customizing choices, but I wonder if single action sigs and cz-75 copies would pick up popularity. Also the capacity disadvantage of the striker-fired guns would be removed.

I’m curious what everyone else thinks would be the best shooting platform/cartridge in this hypothetical case.

I agree with Chris, If you hwant a round limit shoot L-10. I like the differences in the amount of rounds that will fit in a 140mm mag. Also many stages have a round count between 18 and 24 so different platforms will reload in different spots. Variables added to the shooting make it more challenging/fun. I shoot a glock so I get 20+1.

Sure if you take the most popular gun in a division and handicapp one of it's major advantages other guns will be more popular than they are now, then what ? Handicapp the next gun ? I think you would also get alot more cheating with people claiming 9mm major. You pretty much answered you own what if questions, But a rule like that doesnt belong and has been hashed out many times.

The Tanfoglios seem to be fairly well represented. 21+1 aint too shabby.

I think L-10 is the perfect example of what would happen. Other than reloading too much, not much else would change.