Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

'nother Bullet Question

Gun Geek

Thanks for the posts on my previous question about bullet choices for Glocks.

Came across another one in the reloading forum about Masterblaster bullets:

http://www.masterblastersbullets.com/

What is the Poly-M Bullet?

This bullet is the combination of premium casting and space age chemical coating. With over 12 chemical ingredients including Teflon, Molybdenum Disulfide, combined with an advanced Homopolymer. This unique combination has produced an encapsulated coating that offers significant advantages over current lead and jacketed bullets.

Major reduction in smoke and leading over standard lead bullets

Increased Velocities; 60 to 80 fps. over jacketed bullets

Reduction in recoil and recovery time.

Extended life of gun, barrel, and brass.

Lower cost, not only in bullets but allows you to use less powder as well.

Out performs jacketed bullets on steel targets by maintaining longer contact time with target.

Achieves a higher level of accuracy than standard jacketed bullets.

Sounds wunderful!. Couple of guys in the reloading forum use them for 1911 style guns.

Anyone using these in a Glock?

I might be a little skeptical with a list of attributes that long...

Me too.

I'm not saying...in any way...that those bullets aren't the next great thing...I just don't want to waste time finding out. So...hopefully somebdy knows if they work in the polygon rifled barrels. (this might be a good question for Glock Talk)

Don't shoot lead in stock glock barrels. Whatever magic goo they put on the bullet won't be there long enough to matter after it gets squished into the rifling.

For 9mm, there is no cost justification you can make (at least in the US) for shooting lead. Your time in not scraping lead is worth 10X of anything you saved on bullets. For 40 and 45, the equation's a bit different.

You guys just confirmed my suspicions. I wasn't real sure about the fact that there is no hard jacket on these things.

I just got my sample pack in 45.

I am taking delivery TOMORROW of 2 spanking new Glocks - a 34 and a 36 (9mm & 45ACP)

As I've said earlier, I've been shooting and loading for 1911s for quite a while (3 years about 20K rounds), so I'm "casting about" for a good combo to use in the Glock.

I will try these wonder pills in my 1911s. My plan is to shoot into something where I can recover the remains and see what the launching process did. Particularly, I will look to see of the coating stayed on. If they seem to be fantastic, I may run a few through the tupperware and see how they behave.

What I do like about them is that the 45 200gn SWC has a round nose. My Kimbers have fairly tight chambers and can be picky on the feed. I'm guessing the Glock will be a little better about that...

BTW

I looked up homopolymers and they seem to be pretty common and useful things. Typical properies compared to other types of polymers:

Stiffness

Resistance to high temp.

Chemcial resistance

Surface hardness

Sounds exactly like a good coating for a bullet.

On a Dupont spec sheet I found:

Delrin® 500AF is an acetal hompolymer containing 20% Teflon® PTFE fibers. It is designed for applications requiring low wear and/or low coefficient of friction against carbon steel, itself, and other plastics. Very good processing characteristics.

There's got to be a joke in the name "homopolymer"!!!

Sorry - it's the geek in me.

They are just "Black Bullets" like Precision makes.... the main advantage is not having lube, they don't smoke as much as lubed lead bullets... and they don't lead as much at slower speeds, but you still can't push them as fast as jacketed.

I know guys who have shot many many many thousands of rounds through their stock Glock barrels with hard cast lead, with no problems. Its the soft stuff that gets you in trouble. <_<

But if you have doubts, get an aftermarket barrel just to be sure. :unsure:

Gun Geek

Not to hijack the thread, but your comment on your Kimber having a tight chamber and not feeding swc 200 gr bullets very well, got me thinking.

The tightness of the chamber has little to do with the feed characteristics. the load sequence is for the slide to strip the round off the follower and slams it into the feed ramp. It caroms off the fee ramp upward and again caroms off the top inside of the barrel at the juncture of the hood and the chamber and then finally is pushed into the chamber.

If your loaded ammo will pass the gauge test, with a Dillon or similar chamber gauge and you are still getting failure to feed, it is probably a factor of seating depth of the bullet and COL, not a tight chamber. Once you get the correct seating depth and col, the H&G 68 bullet is as close to 100% reliable as any other bullet shape.

Hijack Mode off.

Tightloop:

You're exactly right. I was a little loose in my terminology - and it is an issue of seating depth.

What I've found out is that the Kimber's rifiling comes right to the edge of the chamber. I confirmed this with a cerrosafe chamber cast. A SWC (anything with a shoulder or short ogive) will jam into the rifling and prevent the gun from going into battery. I have a 5" target model and a 3" Ultra Carry, the chamers are almost identical.

FMJ round nose bullets work well because the ogive goes back far enough to miss the lands when the bullet is seated to rec'd OAL. The masterblasters are the right shape so that they will miss the lands at standard OAL.

Thanks for keeping me honest - I was trying to be brief and I sacraficed accuracy (sounds like my last IDPA match)!