Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM interchangeability

GrumpyOne

Check with Pistol Gear for a 9mm conversion barrel, the 9mm might be rechambered to a 357 sig if the barrel maker says it can take the chamber pressure. The XDm is based on a small frame so a 45 acp will not work on this frame.

Rich

I have a question for you. Is there a reason you *need* a .357 sig? or a 9mm if you have a .40? Why are you wanting to do this, what is the root reason? Is it for the gee whiz factor or to save $$ and be able to shoot other calibers but not buy a different gun?

I contacted Springfield about that and they said that they would sell me a .357 sig barrel for my XD .40 if I shipped the gun to them and let them fit it. What I kept coming back to was the cost of what they wanted (~200.00 +shipping) and the fact that I doubt that I would really ever shoot .357 sig in enough quantity to make it worth it. A .40 is a compromise round and gives you a lot of the good things of a 9 with the larger size like a .45 but not quite the best of either. (I am greatly simplifying here folks to keep away from the tired old arguments of 9 v 40 v 45 v 357 sig v everything else as it has been discussed in numerous other threads. :) )

The 9mm conversion is a bit different as you would either have to play with the feed lips on your mags OR get some 9mm mags. Not to mention the difference in lengths of the 9 and .40 bullets and how it head spaces. .357 sig headspaces pretty much like a rifle bullet and is a .40 diameter in size so that conversion is a bit more simplistic.

Here is my opinion: Posible, yep! practical... unless you really REALLY just want the ability to have the same gun shoot multiple bullet types, not really. Personally, I am just going to buy another gun if I want to shoot another caliber.

First, never said I needed it, just wanted to know if it was possible. I already have 3 - 40S&W, 38 super, 38/357, 45, etc. More than anything, I was just trying to find out exactly how versatile the XDm is (could be). If, in the future, certain types of ammo are hard to find, outlawed, whatever, if you have the capability to fire more than one type of ammo through your gun, you will be at an advantage to any other shooters out there.

Edited by GrumpyOne

Thanks guys! So, to make it a 9mm, I'd just need the upper? Trying to figure out a way to get 3 guns for one! ;)

NO.

- You'll need a 9mm conversion barrel that MAY need fitting.

- The chamber/barrel will align the primer with the striker fine, so the breach face will work, but you MAY have extraction/reliability issues, since the extractor has to move farther to the 9mm rim.

- You'll need 9mm magazines, since the follower and feed lips are different. (40 mags will work for .357 SIG)

The XDM 9mm is legal in Production.

The XDM 40 with a 9mm barrel is NOT.

Jeff

Thanks guys! So, to make it a 9mm, I'd just need the upper? Trying to figure out a way to get 3 guns for one! ;)

NO.

- You'll need a 9mm conversion barrel that MAY need fitting. Not if I get the entire upper (slide, barrel, etc.)

- The chamber/barrel will align the primer with the striker fine, so the breach face will work, but you MAY have extraction/reliability issues, since the extractor has to move farther to the 9mm rim. (maybe I should say read the entire post first! :rolleyes: )

- You'll need 9mm magazines, since the follower and feed lips are different. (40 mags will work for .357 SIG)

The XDM 9mm is legal in Production. I don't think I mentioned shooting this for production! :wacko:

Jeff

Thanks for all the info! Like I said, I was just wondering if it were possible. If I were to do something like that, I would have the entire XDM 9mm upper (the breach face issue alone would make it improbable/impossible for 9mm to be fired in a 40 slide, already knew that!), but the SIG barrel, that should be just a drop in barrel.

Edited by GrumpyOne

Slides aren't available for purchase in any of the XD/m models, if you want a slide or complete upper you have to buy another gun or find someone who is selling one off. The 40 to 9mm barrel conversions will work, I recommend using an tuned extractor for each barrel.

Rich

First, never said I needed it, just wanted to know if it was possible. I already have 3 - 40S&W, 38 super, 38/357, 45, etc. More than anything, I was just trying to find out exactly how versatile the XDm is (could be). If, in the future, certain types of ammo are hard to find, outlawed, whatever, if you have the capability to fire more than one type of ammo through your gun, you will be at an advantage to any other shooters out there.

Understood and that answered my question about the why you were so interested in it and why you feel the "need" for the caliber options. Sometimes asking the reasons behind why you are asking helps in giving a better answer. :)

I know that you were originally asking about an XDm but, If you are really interested in options like that take a look at the EAA witness series guns. They offer quite a few options in interchangeable caliber options for the same gun.

"You can easily convert your Witness steel or polymer frame pistol to shoot .22 LR, 9x 19mm, 10 mm, .38 Super, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP. No matter what your need, one gun can do it all. No other platform gives you the choices, versatility, and value found in the Tanfoglio Witness."

NO.

- You'll need a 9mm conversion barrel that MAY need fitting. Not if I get the entire upper (slide, barrel, etc.)

- The chamber/barrel will align the primer with the striker fine, so the breach face will work, but you MAY have extraction/reliability issues, since the extractor has to move farther to the 9mm rim. (maybe I should say read the entire post first! :rolleyes: )

The XDM 9mm is legal in Production. I don't think I mentioned shooting this for production! :wacko:

Jeff

Thanks for all the info! Like I said, I was just wondering if it were possible. If I were to do something like that, I would have the entire XDM 9mm upper (the breach face issue alone would make it improbable/impossible for 9mm to be fired in a 40 slide, already knew that!), but the SIG barrel, that should be just a drop in barrel.

Conversion Barrel is just that. It converts your 40 to a 9mm. It SHOULD work just fine with the 40 slide and workings. Breechface is not an isssue. Also there are few guys on www.xdtalk.com that have used 40 mags with their 9mm conversion barrel and it has worked fine. You can put a 9mm in a 40 but not a 40 barrel in a 9mm XDM. Look on the forum above for a lot of information on the xdms.

• 2 weeks later...

I had Rich at Canyon Creek fit a .357SIG barrel to my .40 cal XDm.

It's more accurate ,(at 25 yards) than the .40 and VERY LOUD. I love the noise and the blast.

I also find it to have noticeably less recoil than the .40. But that's my feeling. I have friends that feel that the .357 has more recoil.

My 2 cents.