Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where can I Shoot?

gunrunner99

Hi, guys,

My friend and I plan on travelling to Arizona this spring (March/April) to do nothing but train for the upcoming season (two feet of snow prevents us from doing it here).

We would like to shoot as much as possible for about three weeks. Plan on bringing our presses and loading in our hotel room! Load, shoot, load shoot. Anyways, any good ranges that have IPSC ranges with poppers, plates etc. We would have to get a membership I assume? How would Ben Avery be?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for so many questions but we really want to get serious this year!

Yes, Rio Salado is your best choice. It's the place to be.

And thanks for the recommendation Kyle, but "our" host (sorry :) isn't currently doing any teaching. Just toooo busy. And the folks at Rio raised their yearly insurance rider (required to teach) to a couple zillion dollars. Or some equally ridiculous figure.

be

I am not aware of a range in the area with facilities like Rio, my advice would be to arrive at the range before 07.00 hr. and try to get a bay.  No other range in the area comes even close to what Rio presents in reference to equipment and shooters. If you guys need help with lodging or anything just ask.

As everyone said Rio Salado.  However, look it up on the WEB.  Then go to Tuesday Night Steel.  This is an awesome match.  Every Tuesday night, 4 stages, mostly steel, I say mostly because everyone once in a while Gary throws in a paper.  Take about 100 rounds.  You can shoot with some the best and nicest people.  Not everyone is a GM or M, it just seems like it at times.  There really is a great mix of people.  If you have the time you can shoot twice on Tuesday even if you have the same gun, the second time around will be fun gun.  Call and talk with Gary, he makes the first timers go through an orientation class.

Ben Avery (spelling?) is north of the city.  Thursday night is the Cactus League.  This is a hot range set-up.  You will see can some of the same folks as you do at Tuesday Night Steel.  Get there ahead of match time so you can get a briefing on how they run things.

I believe there is a range and match at South Mountain.  I never went to it but did hear about it.  Check it out.

If you shoot skeet or trap, there is a range at Red Mountain I think.  This is a very interesting place.  RVs and Shooting.

Then you have the weekend for the real stuff.  Matches, matches everywhere.

There are great gun plumbers in that area.  If you get a chance, check them all out.  While you are at Rio Salado stop in Accuracy Speaks for a chat.  They sometimes have Winchester Match ammo in 100 rounds packs for a really cheap price.

BTW: when you come can make a difference.  Snow bird prices v. semi-normal.  You can also negotiate a long term price at many of the hotels in Snottsdale oops Scottsdale.  Tempe is cool depending on your age or age of mind.

You guys are great, Thanks alot, I'm getting more excited after every reply! Sounds like matches every day of the week, exactly what were're looking for. The steel match will be a must. Three Gun? Shotgun? just for a quick break from IPSC. Why do I live up here anyway?

Anyways, this trip is turning out to be better and better everyday. We're both in our mid-twenties so how's the nightlife, I guess Snottsdale is in reference to the women? Looking up Tempe as we speak.

Thanks again.

Actually the women in Scottsdale are really pretty nice. Especially if you dress up a bit.  I have noticed that women in Scottsdale respond much better to men in slacks v. jeans.  

Scottsdale and Indian School have great places for meeting people.  Sometimes the older richer folks in Scottsdale get a little snooty but all in all I liked living there.

Having lived at 3rd and Mill in Tempe on two different occasions, I can verify that it is a great place especially if you are under 30.  ASU is right there.

I spent time in the East Valley and really have not had much experience with the rest of the area.  So I am baised a bit.

The best shooting in the entire country is in the Phoenix area, hands down!!!  You have it all including full-auto.  The gun plumbers are very very good- Robars, Kodiak, Thorobred[spelling], Big Bore, and of course Accuracy Speaks to name a few.  There are more these are ones that come to mind.

• 1 month later...

Check out the Practical Division at Phoenix Rod and Gun - http://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/

We are right in the city and the best kept secret in Arizona.

One note - At all of the ranges I know of, you will need a membership to use most ranges/facilities (no practical shooting is available on the public ranges) and at most Phoenix area ranges you will also need a key and/or range privileges to use the practical range and equipment.   Due to liability issues, you will likely have trouble doing that during a short visit.

When I was last in Phoenix, '95 (geez, that long ago) I found Rio and excellent club.  There was also an IPSC match available somewhere every day of the week.  Jake Kempton at the gunsmiths at Rio is very knowledgable and will know what is going on, or Tony Walker at Mandells gun shop, Scotsdale.  I hope to re-visit this town this year, but who knows.

You will have lots of fun in Phoenix, but remember your pullover it gets as low as 84!

Barry

There is also Pima Pistol Club in Tucson.

Not nearly as advanced as Rio - but still a solid range. I learned to shoot there. There aren't as many top ranked shooters at Pima but there are several good ones - Salim Dominguez, Tim Copperstone, Bob Molnar to name a few. Anyone could learn a thing or two from Salim -

JB