Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rule Questons - Lightened Slide

Nick Weidhaas

I'm posting for a friend who wants to shoot a SV Infinity in .38super in IDPA ESP. He already has this gun which was built for Steel Matches, Limited Division. The frame is aluminum and slide has been lightened. I know the aluminum frme is OK, but is the lightened slide? The IDPA rule book isn't really clear. I does not list slide lightening on the list of approved mods and it is not listed on the prohibited mods list either. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Nick

This is from the IDPA Rulebook.

INCLUSIVE list of permitted modifications: (If it's not on this list, it can't be

used in Defensive Pistol competition.)

• Change of sights to another notch and post type

• Change of grips (no weighted grips)

• Internal accuracy work to include replacement of the barrel with one of

factory configuration

• Internal reliability work

• Checker frontstrap and backstrap

• Checker or square and checker trigger guard

• Cosmetic checkering/serrating

• Extended thumb (may be ambidextrous) and grip safeties

• Full length guide rod manufactured of material that is no heavier than

common steel

• Change of hammer and other trigger action parts to enhance trigger pull

• Beveled magazine well and add-on well extensions

• Custom finishes

NON-INCLUSIVE list of EXCLUDED modifications:

• Heavy barrels, cone barrels and/or barrel sleeves (factory or

aftermarket)

• Porting of barrels

• Compensators

• Add on weights, weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods, extended

dust covers

• Sights of non-standard notch and post configuration

• Extended oversize magazine release buttons

• Trigger shoes

I would think that it could be placed under internal reliability work since it's intent is to help the gun function with light loads. If it is completely internal then I would think it would be OK. Of course the opinion of the Match Director of the match you are shooting right then is the only one that counts.

INCLUSIVE list of permitted modifications: (If it's not on this list, it can't be

used in Defensive Pistol competition.)

• Change of sights to another notch and post type

• Change of grips (no weighted grips)

• Internal accuracy work to include replacement of the barrel with one of

factory configuration

• Internal reliability work

• Checker frontstrap and backstrap

• Checker or square and checker trigger guard

• Cosmetic checkering/serrating

• Extended thumb (may be ambidextrous) and grip safeties

• Full length guide rod manufactured of material that is no heavier than

common steel

• Change of hammer and other trigger action parts to enhance trigger pull

• Beveled magazine well and add-on well extensions

• Custom finishes

Seems pretty cut and dry to me. If it is external at all, it is disallowed.

So, is lightening the slide "internal reliability work"?

Or could you shave material from the outside and call it "cosmetic checkering/serrating" ?

I would think you could cut wide, deep serrations along the entire length of the slide and get away with it.

Not sure about internal reliability work.

DD

Itlianstalion,

You are probably right. Probably can't be done or will not be allowed. His slide is heavily lightened, (you can see the extractor in places). I think if he took a little off the front of the slide or from inside, he might get away with it. With the deep cuts in the back of the slide, I think someone will bone him on it.

Thanks,

Nick

No Tightloop. I really do have a friend with this gun. I just picked up a short dust cover SV limited gun in .40 (stainless steel). I am going to have the bull barrel turned down and a bushing fitted so I can shoot it in ESP. I've shot my friends .38 super limited steel gun and it is smok'in. It would be perfect for ESP. This game does have some stupid rules, IMHO. But those are the rules..........

After shooting his gun, I'm seriously considering having a SV built in .38super on an aluminum frame. I'll then just use my .40 for USPSA. Going to give the .40 a chance 1st though. Many have told me that the .40 loaded at a 130pf is pretty soft. Time will tell.

Nick-

Nick

I have shot IDPA and if you could get reliable feeding with a 9mm in a 1911 platform, that is the hot set up. I went with 38Super to eliminate the feeding problems. I am here to tell you, a Super at 130 PF is soft, but very reliable. Don't know about 40.

tightloop,

My son is shooting a Caspian 1911 9mm with a titanium race ready frame. After we got the mag problem solved, the gun turned out awesome. He is 10 and wanted to start shooting pistol with Dad (he's been shooting rimfire since he was 7) He is a good kid, straight A's in school and likes to shoot. What more could I ask for. :D

That said, I think there is an advantage to shooting a wide body SVI or STI in ESP Div. as I think the reloads are easier/faster. I dropped my SV off at the smith today and he is going to turn the bull barrel down and fit a bushing so I can shoot it in IDPA. I will then work up some 130pf loads and see how it goes. It would be cool if it works as I can then run the same gun in USPSA and IDPA.

Later,

Nick

the recoil of the 40 isn't much more than a 9mm i'd say equal to the super but less expensive. scott warren (multi time national champ) shot one and may still, i'm not real current as i didn't see him this year.

as for the lightened slide if it's that extreme of a cut then yeah, it's illegal in IDPA. since it is mainly to gain a competitive advantage

Nick: No, it's not a "Stupid" rule, it's an IPDA Rule. Unlike USPSA which changes the rules every six months to accomodate gamers and whiners, IDPA offers rules stability to insure that competition is based on shooting skills and not on an equipment race. Opps! Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.

:D

Unlike USPSA which changes the rules every six months to accomodate gamers and whiners, IDPA offers rules stability to insure that competition is based on shooting skills and not on an equipment race. Opps! Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Sounds like a quote from someone that has never shot IPSC before.

Throwing rocks at another shooting sport does nobody any good.

Opps! Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.

rmills,

Last I checked I still had the right to express myself and form my own opinions, as you do. I do think that some of the Rules in IDPA are stupid. I base my opinion on 10+ years of law enforcement experience to including many years as a firearms instructor and tactical team members. I've had a lot of training and based on the intent of IDPA, some of the rules just don't make any sense and are not real world. Given my opinion of some of the rules in IDPA, I still choose to shoot the game. I understand the the rules are the rules. However, I am still entitled to form my own opinion about those rules and express it if I so wish.

Nick-

Nick:

Your response was edited, so I'm not sure what the issue was. IDPA has particular philosophy behind the myriad rules.

First, we've discussed - to keep it "real world" i.e. shooting guns that peope are likely to be carrying.

Second we haven't really mentioned. They want to keep the competition based on the skills of the shooter, not the $$$ spent on the gun. Similar reason NASCAR limits things in their rules (as well as safety). Winning the race come down to a driver duel in the last few laps.

As a new shooter coming into the sport, I liked that a lot. Those guys blazing away were doing so with the same gun that I could buy for $500 - $1500, not something that a special smith made up for $5000 and need a name like Rob, Matt, or Brian to get. It takes away the equipment excuse.

My 2 cents.