Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA legal flashlight question?

9mmalpha

Im new to USPSA and IDPA, Im wondering if there is set rules on what kind of flashlight you can use on IDPA match? I saw a video on 2008 IDPA national in S&W one of the top competitior had a flashlight that is designed to comfortably hold it without compromising your pistol grip. do IDPA allows non typical flashlight / like those wire type that bends etc.. is there anyone here who might know?

Im new to USPSA and IDPA, I'm wondering if there is set rules on what kind of flashlight you can use on IDPA match? I saw a video on 2008 IDPA national in S&W one of the top competitor had a flashlight that is designed to comfortably hold it without compromising your pistol grip. do IDPA allows non typical flashlight / like those wire type that bends etc.. is there anyone here who might know?

Flashlights are fun in IDPA, it is much harder to hold a light and pistol than you may think. The 2009 IDPA Nationals had two stages requiring the use of a flashlight (provided by the MD for the stage). Here is one of the stages:

There are some people that have used those expensive flashlights that slides over you strong hand- can't recall the mfr/name. I'm not convinced that are worth it... especially considering that some stages require you to start with the light on a table, etc.

I use a basic Surefire G2.

I just use my EDC, a Surefire C2L.

(ETA - And before that, I used my previous EDC, a Surefire E2D. I prefer the C2L by a good margin, except that the smaller E2D can be nicer for carry.)

Edited by Walküre

thanks guys for your reply, Im practicing the cigar type hold on flashlight for now just to be on safe side of IDPA rules. I find it tricky to perform mag change while holding a flashlight but with right size of equipment I think it makes the difference.

Edited by 9mmalpha

I built a custom light that allows full dexterity for tacloads etc. I only used it in one match (2007 west TX regional). I finished 120.04 seconds faster than the average and 12.15 seconds over 2nd overall in 8 stages (they droped one no light stage due to time). No one said a thing about the light but it then again it was dark after all. The book only says no gun mounted lights.

Edited by jmorris

I built a custom light that allows full dexterity for tacloads etc. I only used it in one match (2007 west TX regional). I finished 120.04 seconds faster than the average and 12.15 seconds over 2nd overall in 8 stages (they droped one no light stage due to time). No one said a thing about the light but it then again it was dark after all. The book only says no gun mounted lights.

Do you happen to have a photo of said contraption? I happen to love MacGyver type set ups! :cheers:

I have been using a slightly modified traditional 1" scope ring attached to my light. I can get fairly close to a "conventional" grip on the gun by using it.

Edited by sirveyr