Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Point Series

Sterling White

Its hard to say whether or not the glory days of big matches have come and gone. There has to be a way for our organization to create an influx of money either through outside sponsorship or from within. I really believe that the point series has the capability to be a vehicle for cash payback. Much like all of the race car series, ie., nascar, or even bull riding thats on OLN.

The bottom-line is that the point series could provide opportunity for every competitor by division and class and not just award the top 16. Phil, I like your ideas and maybe someone will consider all the options that have been addressed in this thread.

Just for kiks, I through out the idea on the uspsa guestbook that the point series should correspond with the Nationals. The problem that was raised pointed out that there could some conflict with the number of matches because the nationals float each year. Guess I'd have to say...that would be OK. Some years a competitor may get a few more point serie matches and some years a few less. No biggie.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I was 1st A Open in the 2003 Point Series Championship (primarily because Tommy Thacker decided to only shoot 7 of the possible 9 matches) so what do I get? Anybody heard anything official? As I wasn't one of the overall winners (congrats guys) I didn't get the prestigious call from HQ. What's up?

I think one of the issues/problems is the amount of matches required. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I could make it to 9 matches. I can swing the nationals, "others", areas, but the required 4 state or sectional's is to much. I'd love to be able to shoot that many matches but with work and $$ I just can't. I shoot as many or more matches throughout the year than most of the local shooters around me, so I don't think I'm the only one. And obviously I'm not going to participate in the point series if I know I'm not going to be able to shoot even the minium amount of matches, that doesn't even give you a chance.

I don't know how they could re-structure it or even if they want to, but if somehow there weren't as many required matches I think participation would go up considerably.

Smitty you are absolutely right. I like the concept but the system is a bit flawed. I had to stretch the budget last year to get in all the required matches. So much so that I will be forgoing many this year...including this weekend at Frank's place :( I knew going in last year that if you didn't make all 9 matches it wasn't going to be worth it. Being in the middle of Area 6, the 4 state matches are no problem. A 2nd Area match (luckily I had some business in Boston around the time of Area 7) and the nats in OR stressed the funds. I won't be participating this year just because I won't be able to make it to Barry.

The Points Series is a great idea...for those willing to "refinance the homestead" for the capital needed to compete in the number of matches necessary to give yourself a fighting chance at the top spot.

All that effort....for 92 bucks. <_<

God Bless those that try... :huh:

• 3 weeks later...