Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Comp For Open Gun

turbocomp38s

There probably is no 'best' comp. Many are good. All have characteristics similar to and different from the others. Some reduce recoil better than others - at the expense of some muzzle flip, some reduce muzzle flip at the expense of some recoil reduction. The exact load you use may have a more profound effect on how the gun works than the comp. Light bullets with real slow powders are going to shoot flatter but hit back harder. Heavier bullets with real fast powders may be real soft shooting but have much more muzzle flip.

Generally more ports shoot a little softer and those comps are longer and heavier which add more weight to the front of the gun - probably a better choice for newbies, smaller shooters, and less agressive shooters. At the GM, M, and high A level, lighter guns with smaller comps are gaining in popularity because they index faster though they may hit back a little harder or flip more.

Brazos, Dawson, STI, EGW make good comps as well as others.

Probably the best thing you can do it to try and shoot a bunch of guns and pick something you like. If you aren't in a position to do that, I think the best solution is to get something in a fairly standard configuration and work with your loads to get the feel and performance you want.

I agree with Kbear and GWhiz but want to add a little comment. With the current power factor you CAN go too big on the port sizes and then NOTHING seems to feel right. With the higher power factor you had more pressure and gas volume to work with and the HUGE port comps were pretty popular.

Leo

Thanks for your replies. Erik, Here are the answers to your questions.

A. 38 super preferrably.

B. Hybrid and or popplesholes is fine.

C. flat shooting gun

D. classification is class B.

Hope these answers will help you helping me making good recommendations for choosing a comp in building a new open gun.