Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Draw Master

BigDave

This is from the old forum, and is one of my favorites for honing basic draw and shoot skills.

"Double Draw Master."

(you have to have a timer that will "comstock go" like the PACT)

A single target at 15 yds

You have 10 seconds FLAT to -

draw and shoot 2 shots on the target, repeating that as many times as possible, using the "comstock go" buttom, until you run out of time. If necessary, as you get close to the 10 second mark, you can only shoot one shot (if you know shooting 2 shots would put you over 10 seconds.)

Each shot fired over 10.00 seconds is minus 5 points.

Your only score is your actual score on the target. My best is 80 points, 16 shots, all A's. I did it for days. If you really work it over, you'll learn quite a bit.

be

Tried this today best score: 14 shots 67 points (I dropped some c's) I'm a bit rusty on draw I think I could have gotten 15 off but it was too close on time.

What an excellent drill this will be a regular part of my practices now.

Pat

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 1:17 pm on May 12, 2001)

This drill looks fun and rewarding!  I need to buy a PACT. Too bad the hotel I am living in (107 days and counting!!!) doesn't allow live fire in their rooms!  LOL

TT,

I know you can kick some butt on this one (with your lightening draw, which I observed during the Limited Nationals shootoffs a couple years ago, against the Great One himself) - give it a whirl and let us know what you young dudes can do!

be

Brian,

I will try that this weekend (Thank Goodness it is Friday!)

It also reminds me of a indoor range drill. Where I am at, the indoor range as a special function on their keypads that, depending on the programming, will move the targets backwards and forwards and turn them edgewise several times. I have used their function to draw, fire two as the target flips from edgewise to facing me, then rehoster, wait for the target to move and flip again, then draw and repleat. Had to hurry as a few times it flips and moves quite fast. The range owners know me well enough to let me 'draw' (most people there are not allowed to do that.)

The targets would do this from 3 yards to 20 or so several times flipping edge wise. Made me really keep my finger off the trigger (Glock with 3.5 pull!)

Deaf

• 3 months later...

paper target at 5 yds, using Comstock Go on the PACT MkIV, draw and then two shots, 10 shots total (5strings of 2)

TIME/PTS/FACTOR

1) 10.78/49/4.5455

2) 10.94/49/4.4790

3) 11.49/50/4.3516

4)   9.96/48/4.8193

5) 10.00/48/4.8000

This is a stock gun (HK USP 45) drawn from a kydex paddle hoster, not a speed rig.  My average good draw time was about 1.6-1.7 secs.  Damn do I have work to do!!!

• 1 month later...

....now with the SV Limited 40... and this time from 7 yds, 10 shots, 2 per string

9.34   49pts  5.2463hf

and it was a cold run (1st run of the day)

(Edited by BigDave at 2:58 pm on Oct. 14, 2001)

Not that what you're doing isn't good, but actually the "Double Draw Master" is shot with a 10 second time limit. 10.30 is good, 10.31 is over. Your score is only the score on the target (accrued in that time).

be

Dave,

The idea of that particular drill is to see how many points you can get in 10 seconds...by drawing and shooting two.

You will need to set that mk-IV to "comstock go".  count down from 10 seconds.  The buzzer goes off for 0.3 seconds, which gives you the 10.3 second window.

• 6 months later...

The way we time the drill is to simply press the comstock-go button for for the second and successive starts, and then you can tell toward "the end" if you should shoot two shots or only one on your last attempt. You can also easily tell if you went over the 10.30 second time limit...

be

• 2 months later...

I am sorry

I am a little lost. I do not really know what this drill is and have bever heard of it.

Do you draw at the beep and fire as many rounds as you can in 10 seconds doing reloads in between? and then see how many points you get before 10.31 on the timer?

or do you just draw and shoot 2 right the time down, draw and shoot 2, repeat until you have 10.3 sec total or less overall time?

Thanks

Brian B

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rob,

Which one? The little CED 7000? I just posted the link to the manual to that timer on another thread. Let me find it again...

pdf file download for the CED 7000: http://www.cedhk.com/download.php?oid=9074...amp;size=615008

COMBINED COMSTOCK MODE:

The CED7000 features the ability of combining several “Comstock” scores cumulatively. Designed

for situations where the user wants to add the time of two or more strings together, but require separate

start beeps. When the Timer is set in this mode, it will restart from the exact time and number of shots

last displayed on the timer prior to restarting it and will continue to accumulate both from that point

onward. The user can re-start the timer as many times as desired, with each new start resulting in a

continued cumulative shot and time recording. To re-start the timer from zero, press the “CLEAR” button

TWICE. To end the “Combined Comstock” function, enter the preference MENU, select MODE,

and then select “COMSTOCK” & press enter or select CLEAR MODE from the Menu and press

ENTER. This will clear any setting, function, or mode in current use and return the timer to Comstock

ready mode.

- Go the the menu

- Select "mode"

- Select "combined comstock"

• 2 weeks later...

So ok... if you don't have a timer that will use "combined Comstock" mode, can you just do a string of 5 random delayed starts and add up the time? Obviously you have to be under 2 seconds per draw and 2 shots to make the "10 second barrier" or challenge. Or am I missing something? I only have a CEI Pocket Pro and it doesn't do the Comstock thing.

So ok... if you don't have a timer that will use "combined Comstock" mode, can you just do a string of 5 random delayed starts and add up the time? Obviously you have to be under 2 seconds per draw and 2 shots to make the "10 second barrier" or challenge. Or am I missing something? I only have a CEI Pocket Pro and it doesn't do the Comstock thing.

Yeah, that"ll pretty much do it. You just have to add it up as you go. If you hit say 8.5 seconds, you have to decide if you are going to fire 1, both or no shots for the next string. I keep ending up around 9.6 - 9.7 for my 14th shot so I stop.

Yeah, that"ll pretty much do it. You just have to add it up as you go. If you hit say 8.5 seconds, you have to decide if you are going to fire 1, both or no shots for the next string. I keep ending up around 9.6 - 9.7 for my 14th shot so I stop.

Ah... ok then! I'll try not to cheat!

OK OK... I won't cheat and IF I go over I'll take the penalty.

• 1 year later...