Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I buy an Iphone?

Do IT! I love my iPhone 3G.

You cannot get an iPhone on Verizon as they use a different older technology...CDMA. The iPhone operates on the GSM networks, which means they'll pretty much work anywhere in the world. The only nationwide options are AT&T or unlocking your phone to use on the T-mobile GSM network. So again, Verizon and Sprint are non compatible networks.

There's so much you can do with an iPhone. :)

I didn't really want an I-Phone until I saw this. Now I NEED one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA2Av74pjTY

John,

The phone's cheap, it's the plan that costs a small fortune. My family plan with unlimited texting is already about $1000/year for 3 of us. Going to the I phone boosts that up to over $1200/year and probably more the way my wife and son use their phones. Not to mention that the area in McComb where I live doesn't even have 3g available!? I think living in a bigger city sees benefits of that phone where you get 3g, GPS, internet, etc... I just need a phone and prefer to talk to people or see what's around me rather than glue myself to a small computer like I see a lot of folks do. My brother in Denver is so wired on his I phone he controls the volume, the music, the formats of his home stereo system from his I phone. We play guess the artist, song, album, at christmas which he picks from his phone. Too high tech for me. Someday I'll learn to be more tech savy, someday...

Edited by racine

Can you even get an I phone with Verizon? I thought the I phone was an AT&T exclusive so wouldn't you have to switch carriers?

To use a different carrier on the iphone you need to Jailbreak and unlock the phone, this isn't hard to do, and the phone will work just fine afterwards, however, some have concerns about the warranty after the action is done. Is it for everyone? NO..

But it will let you use a different carrier with your phone.

http://www.appleiphonereview.com/iphone-tu...hone-jailbreak/

You CAN NOT use the iphone on verzion. You can jailbreak the thing until you are blue in the face. Verizon uses CDMA, and the guts of the iphone are for GSM networks. You can jailbreak and go to t-mobile. Sprint is also CDMA.

here is a list of providers and their underlying voice and data standards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unite...rvice_providers

I'd hate to see someone cough up the cash for an unlocked iphone and get screwed.

• 2 weeks later...

do it NOW!!!

I administer 30+ blackberries and a dozen iPhones are work, and IMO, the Droid kills them both. I refused both the Bb and iPhone (free to me) and carried a regular flip phone until we got an android. I feel it's the only of the bunch that actually is a decent phone and handles email really well,not to mention internet browsing and Alps.