Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a little help

After much hair pulling, I've decided to start reloading again after 20 years off. Its been so long since I reloaded, I've pretty much forgotten what little I did know about it. Basically, after reading tons of stuff on this site and others, I've put together a list of stuff I **THINK** I will need along with things I want. I've produced this list on an Excel spreadsheet and don't really feel like reproducing it again here. It includes links to websites, prices, etc. I won't be able to buy all the stuff on the spreadsheet right off the bat, and plan to begin with only 9 mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. After I've become comfortable with those, I'll probably slide into .243, 6.8 SPC, and maybe a couple of others. I already have some reloading manuals from this summer when I almost got back in (wife talked me out of it), and already plan on buying more. That's the only thing I have. I did not add powder, bullets, or brass to the list, either. Otherwise I think I have pretty much everything.

Would someone with lots of expirience reloading be willing to let me email them my Excel spreadsheet so they can go over it and see if I've made any glaring ommissions or mistakes? Also, any suggestions otherwise would always be welcome.

Also, since I chose a Hornady LNL as the press, I put this in the "non-Dillon Reloading Equipment" section. If I messed up and it should be in the beginners section, I apologize and can move it.

Reply here, PM me or email me if you're willing to help me out.

c_h_100@hotmail.com

Chris Hitch

Since you have chosen the Hornady LNL I will chime in.

1. LNL Press

2. Pistol Powder Measure (save the standard one for the rifle stuff very difficult to do pistol with std powder measure and insert), about $30

3. 1 Extra powder measure insert for each caliber (only place I found them is Hornady). Adjust it once insert when needed. (the micrometer insert is nice but its easier to have 3 and not readjust every time). $8.00 each.

4. 10 pack of die bushings +3 that came with it for starters.

5.. Dies for each caliber + taper crimp die for each. You will find it much easier to use the standard Hornady expander than use the powder thru adapter and get much better results on lead on moly bullets.

6. Powder Scale. I use the Frankford Aresnal Digital and have a Lee Safety Scale to double check it.

7. FrankFord Aresnal or other Caliper.

8. Bullet Puller (hammer).

9. Drop Check gauge for each caliber loaded.

10. Tumbler

11. Media

12. Media Seperator. For health reasons the media is full of lead and it gets on you if you handle it. Recommend RCBS.

13. Primer fip tray. The Hornady one works very well better than the Dillon super monster.

14. Extra decapping pins, unless you are using Lee Dies. You will break Hornady and Dillion pins.

15. For 40 S&W get a Redding GRX and run all brass thru it. (use cheap Lee Single stage press for this $21.00)

16. Shell Plate for Each Caliber, 9, 40, and 45. (not sure which one does the 6.8).

17. Polish for brass. I like the Flitz tumber additive best.

18. Die wrench.

I have loaded over 20k rounds with one primer tube, its still working. Get the Hornady tube they are better than the Dillon. I load one dump it in the loader then load another tube. That way I get 200 done before loading the tube again.

I have used Lee, Dillon, and Hornady Die. I sold all my Lee and Dillon Die and use Hornady exclusively. They are just better. If you get Lee do not use the FCD on Lead or Moley bullets works great on Jacketed bullets only.

Rifle:

Cheap Single stage press for prepping brass.

Die Bushings

Dies

Case Trimmer

Case Lubricant

Primer Pocket Reamer

Powder: You can load 9, 40, 45 with Winchester WST it works good in all 3.

Bullets: In order of preference Zero and MTG in Jacketed.

Moly: Precision or Bayou Bullets.

Primers: Anything I can get except Wolf. Federal, Winchester, CCI, and Magtech all seem to work well.

Brass: What ever I find on the range.

I do have the case feeder on my LNL and it does save some time but slightly complicates the caliber changes. I loaded for about 2 years before I got it. I run bigger batches now about 1000 at a time. I also have an XL650 with case feeder. If you going case feeder to start it might be a choice but it will cost you about $200 more with 3 calibers. There is no clear winner in the contest between the two, they are both very good machines, with no questions asked warranty and free replacement parts. I've broke both more than once, they just send me the parts.

Edited by CocoBolo

Ok, here's the list minus the links or prices. If you want the links and/or prices, let me know.

Redding Competition Seating dies, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP

Redding Taper Crimp dies, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP

EGW undersize resizing dies, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP

EGW Replacement Decapping Pin, 5

Shell plates #8 (9 MM), #10 (40 S&W), and #45 (45 ACP)

Hornady Lock and Load Press

Universal Pass Through Expander

RCBS Lockout Die

Dillan Primer Flip Tray

Dillan Primer Pickup tubes

Hornady One Shot Case Lube, 2

Hornady Impact Bullet puller

9mm/40 S&W/45 ACP case sorter

Dillan Case Guages, 9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP

Brian Enos Digital Scale

Large Pistol Primers

Small Pistol Primers

Lyman Turbo 2200 w/Auto Flow

Frankfor Arsenal Corn Cob media

Flitz Brass Case Polish

RCBS Rotary Case and Media Seperator

Reloading bench. I'm including a link on this one. I like the looks of their benchs and they appear to be modular and can add stuff as you want/need/are financially able. www.benchdepot.com

Obviously I didn't include powder, bullets or brass. I'll work on that in another discussion. I'd like input on what I've chosen, especially the dies since I didn't buy a set of dies, but cherry picked what I thought/read might be the best.

Last thing...I tried to upload the file, but it won't allow excel files, I guess.

Thanks a ton,

Chris Hitch

EDIT:

Hornady LNL Die bushings, package of 10

Die Wrench

need the info for the pistol powder measure. Can you provide links?

Would I need the Redding GRX with my undersized resizing die and the Lee Factory Crimp die?

Edited by panhndl

My LnL press came with BOTH powder measures. I think they started including both some time last year.

Some people would say to get a Taper Crimp die instead of the Lee FCD. I use the FCD and like it, but some people suggest it to be a crutch/cover up and can impact accuracy. I have not found it to impact my reloads accuracy with lead bullets. If you are going to load a lot of lead or Moly coated, the Taper crimp die might be a way to go. Im sure there are many other discussions on the FCD vs Taper Crimp Die though.

Check the Precison bullets FAQ page. In the DO NOT section you will find the Factory Crimp dies. If your insist on using it with cast lead and moly bullets then add a big bag of chore boys to your list.

http://www.precisionbullets.com/faq.htm

RELOADING TIPS (from above link)

Make sure to have a good bell on the case so not to shave off the coating during the seating process.

Do not seat and crimp the bullets in the same die. Use a separate taper crimp die.

We highly recommend Dillon reloading equipment.

Do not use a roll crimp or Lee Factory Taper Crimp Dies.

The roll crimp will cut through the coating. You must use a taper crimp die.

The Lee Factory Taper Crimp Die will undersize the bullets causing accuracy and fouling problems.

Most of the time a heavier crimp will work better.

The taper crimp dies will work with either jacketed or lead bullets. The FCD attempts to resize the case and that is what causes the problems with the bullets.

I didn't know the pistol measure now comes with the press, good news it is even better now.

Ok. I'm confused.

40 S&W fireed brass commonly has a bulge near the case rim from Glock's (and others if I understand correctly), hence the name "Glocked Brass".

Is this really mostly a problem with 40 and I should just buy regular 9 mm and 45 ACP dies? Or is it just a problem on the higher pressure cartridges like 9 and 40, but not 45? Or is it a problem with all three?

It seems like the G-RX is only available in 40, with a carbide version of the current die available soon while the undersized dies are available in 9, 40, and 45 (if not others, as well). I know there is some argument on which is the best way to go, but should I just buy regular redding dies and then the u dies for each caliber with a simple single stage press to resize?

FYI- I have a D & L Sports Professional 45 ACP (www.dlsports.com) and Wilson Combat Stealth in 9mm (www.wilsoncombat.com). The 45 is fully chambered, but I can't find any info on the Wilson. My 40 is on order and I plan to use some type of undersize or G-RX to accommodate bulged brass.

Thanks,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

IMO, the Redding Competition Seating dies are overkill unless you are going to shoot serious Bullseye competition. If that is the case then I think you're missing case prep tools off your list. I previously have used Redding dies (still have a couple of Titanium Carbide Pro Sets in 9mm and .45ACP if you're interested), but have gone to Hornady dies almost exclusively now.

As for an expander, I recently picked up one of these from Powderfunnels.com and love it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

3. 1 Extra powder measure insert for each caliber (only place I found them is Hornady). Adjust it once insert when needed. (the micrometer insert is nice but its easier to have 3 and not readjust every time). $8.00 each.

I was able to buy Hornady parts including powder measure insert from MidSouth by entering the Hornady part number, after I failed to find the parts in the MidSouth online catalog.