Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it legal?

I was wondering if litening the slide by way of notches, holes or whatever would be legal in the limited division. The gun is NOT offered by the manufacturer with these mods. . They would have to be done by a gunsmith or another gunmaker.

For example: Taking a Springfield XD and having holes put into the sides or the top of the slide.

If you don't have the rulebook, they are available for download from USPSA.org. The approved modifications are in an appendix at the back of the book.

Be warned that when you lighten the slide on a pistol, you may have to tune your load and recoil springs to achieve proper functioning.

If you don't have the rulebook, they are available for download from USPSA.org. The approved modifications are in an appendix at the back of the book.

Be warned that when you lighten the slide on a pistol, you may have to tune your load and recoil springs to achieve proper functioning.

I understand about tuneing with the recoil spring, that I have thought about, tuneing the load on the other hand... . As I think about it, the load may need to be adjusted, assuming it is already close to the PF, 'up' to work with the new spring/springs?. I quess you may even have to change bullet type and or powders in a extreem case?.

I do have a rule book but after reading some of the dicusions about different rules i'm quite honestly alittle apprehensive about assuming it could be done without it being spelled out exactly.

As you can quess i'm new to the sport, only having shot a few matches this last summer and fall. None the less, i'm HOOKED! I love this sport. I was not at all confident with a pistol, except within personal defense range, untill I was dragged to a match and offered the oppertunity to watch, listen, learn and do. It has change my whole outlook on handguning. So much so that I deer hunted this year with a handgun, successfully too! Thanks for your help.

Glad you are having fun with USPSA! The gear is fascinating to me, as I have been more of a gear guy than a racer all my life. The Limited division is where many modifications are legal. The biggest no-no's in Limited are ported barrels, optics, and recoil pedals (unless on the factory gun like my Tanfo Limited (its pretending to be an extended safety)). The best thing about Limited/L10 is the ability to really modify the pistol without the worry of altering the "factory profile" like in Production. Mill the slide, young man! remove weight, add weight, disable internal safeties, change barrels, change triggers. This is where real innovation is made in the pistol world. Race guns have to work, and work well. As these mods are on "factory" guns, sometimes you will see these ideas migrate to mass produced pistols.

Be sure to do a lot of reading on this site on slide lightening, there are hundreds of threads here with tons of info.