Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster For Custom Para

kevin c

I've given up on my Limcat. Don't get me wrong - I love drawing from it, when the gun comes out clean, but 30% of the time it hangs up like it's locked. Hours of practice and working on/altering the drawstroke show me that the gun comes out clean only if I can exactly duplicate my stance, hand position/holster position, etc., every single time, not a realistic expectation in a dynamic sport like ours, and something that I have blown stage runs to prove. It seems the problem is that I have a gunsmith para frame with the trigger guard squared by my smith, and the fit with either Limcat trigger hook isn't precise enough. The gun moves a lot, even locked, and the screw in/out cant button needs to let the gun rock, or it might as well have the lock on. Johnny custom fit an insert, but, while better, I can't use a holster that gags on the draw even one time in twenty. I get better draws out of my old 009.

I searched and it looks like the new Ghost is a possibility, but I'd like to know if any of you holster mavens think that my custom trigger guard will give a new holster the same fits (same width, FYI)

TIA

Without seing Kevin`s gun its hard to say, but I think what he is saying is his problem is the squared trigger gaurd.

All the replies I have seen I`ll bet the people in your local club(s) have all or most

of these holsters. Just ask to try them if nothingelse you will be able to kick out ones you know don`t work. ;)

Square trigger guard on a Para?????

Edited content below - added later......

I know guys shooting STI's with square guard using 011's. It works great with my Para that doesn't have a square trigger guard.

Thanks, folks.

I'm not much for webstuff other than basic keyboard punching, but I'll see if I can get some pix up.

I actually put my 009 back into service temporarily, and can draw from it better than ever, probably because of all the work on the drawstroke technique while messing with the Limcat. Still, moving into the 21st century might be nice.

Do the holsters you all mention have different locking mechanisms to change out depending on the model pistol used? If so, that is where my squared Para trigger guard may not work.

Johnny's holster is great, but I just think that my gun's custom guard is literally not a good fit.

Kevin, I have an 011 I used with my squared-steel-triggerguard P9. It uses a different trigger guard insert, a kind of spacer or shim, compared to modular-frame guns. Safariland includes both spacers with the 011, and I think the 012. You are welcome to try it indefinitely, until I need it to shoot a steel challenge match with my P9.

Are you hanging up your gun by twisting it in the Limcat? I can do the same thing with my (old) Ghost, but only with my Open gun.

Thanks for the offer, Erik. I may take you up on it.

In front of a multiangle bathroom mirror ("Yes, dear, I'll be out in just a little while...")I checked my drawstroke for torque, and I don't (think that I) twist coming out. I have experimented with the angle at which the gun clears the holster in terms of inward and outward cant, because a heavy all steel and tungsten Para in Johnny's amazing little miniholster moves the holster up and rotates it out the instant I start to lift the gun, but I don't see consistent improvement.

Again, the gun has a lot of play in the holster, both laterally and fore/aft. I think that this may cause the seizing when the gun is drawn in any position other than what I had working for a while (i.e. 30 clean draws in a row from one position, shift foot/waist/trunk position even a couple inches - instant holster wedgie).

My 009 grips the bottom of the trigger guard from behind nice and snug - draws clean. Mebbe I should try your 011, if the mechanism is similar. I think the Limcat and other similar holsters lock in on the side and inside of the front of the guard.

I hope you're back on your feet, Erik.

I too gave up on the Limcat for the Para. It draws super smooth if you have a gun with a plastic trigger guard (STI/SV). The steel trigger guard (Para & about any other 1911) will hang up. I sold the Limcat and bought a Ghost (old style w/ pin). Same problem.

I finally bought a CR holster. Works awesome! Has a positive lock. Releases the gun cleanly. I'm thinking of buying another one for the wife.

My Safariland 011 has a great draw, but I don't feel comfortable running around with the gun in it. I use a sissy strap when not shooting so as to not dump the gun.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Bought the new Ghost - works great, less filling! :D

The difference is the ball bearing lock mechanism, combined w/ what looks like a small hook. Nice and solid - I have even the confidence to jog w/o putting a hand on the gun (haven't worked up the nerve to sprint yet - too much gravel on my home range for my gun to skid on if it comes out). The draws are clean. No excuses now.

I just wish I had known that the hex head screws are metric. A 5/32" will work in a 4mm socket, but I almost rounded off the 3mm socketed screws until Angus told me what to use.

• 3 weeks later...

Update #2:

With Angus' blessing I did a little mod to my ultimate ghost. I have shaved the upper back side of the holster block so that it is now flush w/ the trigger guard of my Para, allowing me to snug up my grip under the guard when drawing. For the Para taking off .175" is enough. This basically makes the block look like those on an Extreme or Speedsec.

I took down the shaved area with a Dremel sanding wheel, and smoothed it to just about the same finish as the rest of the block with a second cut mill file.